EM10 Mk ll or EM5 Mk ll?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wrxspdwgn, Nov 26, 2015.

1. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm trying to decide if the EM10 Mk ll or the EM5 Mk ll would make a better backup to my EM1. I currently have an original EM5 but would like a camera with some of the newer features such as live composite and WIFI. Decisions, decisions... Anyone in a similar situation?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd get the E-m5 II mainly to have the shared battery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Good point. I currently have three spares so that does factor in to my decision.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    What's the purpose for the backup? For a professional a backup should be every bit as capable as the primary body, many believe it should be the same. I see advantages in both having the same body or one with complimentary features.

I would see the E-M5 mkII as complimentary. Both the E-M5 and E-M1 are weather sealed, same batteries, have the 1-2 switch (so they can be setup similarly), etc. But the E-M5 offers the high resolution mode, the articulated screen, plus a few other things that compliment the E-M1.

The E-M10 is more the light simpler companion. A fully capable camera and good as backup for many. But for a professional I'm not sure it offers any complimentary features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    agreed. Live composite and wifi already include on EM1. Better consider investing on great lenses related with your type of photography instead.

6. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    With my E-M1 having to go back to Olympus once already in the six months I've owned it I wanted a back up that retains some of the same features. I ended up purchasing an E-M5 mark ll. I am already experiencing a possible issue in that I can change settings in all modes of lever setting one but in setting two I cannot change ISO from 200. This is getting old as my E-M1 was sent back due to a non functioning rear control dial.

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'm in the same boat. My E-M1 had the rear dial encoder replaced and now has had some sort of IBIS failure, so it is back for service again. I have an E-PM2 and it takes good images but I am somewhat challenged by the shooting ergonomics.

Henry's has a blow out on the E-P5 for $399, but other than the dual controls I don't see a big step up from the E-PM2. So I am debating an E-M5Mk2 especially since I will be on vacation soon.

8. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I did a full reset on the camera and everything is functioning normally. I'm not sure how the ISO control became locked. I updated the firmware shortly after getting the camera home and the first photos I took with it were at a family Thanksgiving celebration where I was using flash with the camera in manual mode.

9. wrxspdwgn

wrxspdwgn Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Other than my ISO issue, the E-M5 Mark ll is a nice camera. I can definitely see using it for situations where you want a smaller size than an E-M1 and would like to be a bit quieter while shooting as the mechanical shutter makes less sound than both the E-M1 and the E-M5 Mark1.

I hope that Olympus service gets your camera sorted out. I do feel that they would benefit greatly by improving turn around time and possibly offering something similar to Canon professional services to those of us who have been expanding the amount of Olympus gear we own. I know it cost over $50 to ship my camera in for repair from Wisconsin. If Olympus had multiple repair centers, maybe East, Central and West they could offer a three day turn around time like Canon. I would be willing to pay an annual fee like with Canon for the convenience. Maybe offer the repair centers an incentive for being the one with the least amount of returns for additional repair. Wishful thinking, as I work as a field service technician and we do our best to retain customers by keeping them happy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to note, the E-P5 has far better IBIS and Shutter shock control. It doesn't have an EVF, but it's much closer to the EM5 than the EPM2. I had one for a while and it was a very nice camera. I sold it when I decided to buy a refurb EM1 because I do like the EVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Completely agree, the E-P5 is much more an EVF free E-M5 / E-M1.

Dual control dials
    2×2 control switch
    1/320 flash sync
    1/8000 shutter
    1,036,800 lcd

The last 4 are upgrades from the E-M5 right off the E-M1. It also has the built in flash instead of that little clip on one and build quality that feels great in the hand.

It was hard to resist not picking one up at the current prices. But as much as I might like a backup for my m4/3 it's hard to justify with 2 FX Nikon bodies already.

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
  13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I spent some time with the E-M5mkII today in store and I have to say the ergonomic compromises are too much. It would need a grip which eliminates any size advantage over the E-M1 and makes it heavier.