EM10 mk II EVF problem - lag / judder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aphasiac, Oct 23, 2015.

1. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    I bought an EM10 mk2 yesterday, and I'm experiencing the same EVF problems as described in this review:
    http://petapixel.com/2015/09/07/review-the-olympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-is-solid-but-has-a-lackluster-evf/

The EVF judders really badly in certain high-contrast situations; Moving from a white-ish to a dark-coloured one the frame-rate doesn't drop; instead it seems to cause the whole picture to jump back or forward (unsure which) a few pixels. It occurs more in low light, and can easily be replicated by pushing exposure compensation up to +2.0, then pan the camera fast around the room.

The simulated optical viewfinder also has the same issue, and there's no longer a "high framerate" option. The LCD screen on the back doesn't show the same jerkiness, it's just the EVF panel.

Can other EM10 mkII owners confirm they definitely DON'T have this issue? It's really noticeable, so if you're unsure that probably means you don't.

I have 7 days to return the camera, want to confirm it's a hardware issue and not a problem with this model.

2. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Been investigating more; it's a low light issue. When the camera is pointed at a dark area, the shutter speed drops and the EVF mirrors this somehow. The EVF is reported to update at 120Mhz, but when it hits a shutter speed of 1/20 or under the EVF drops to a jerky framerate of under 30mhz.

Surely this is a software issue, as my old EM5 definitely didn't do this. I also discovered the LCD panel on the back DOES show the jerkiness, but it's harder to see due to slight persistent image/ ghosting; maybe it's related the new OLED EVF that it unique to this model?

3. Vinczus

Vinczus New to Mu-43

Nov 2, 2015
    Hi,

I've just bought my E-M10 mk2 with the pancake zoom 14-42EZ - with this combo I can see the lag in the EVF, but not on the LCD panel. I 've also tried some "mechanic"(?) type lenses like 14-42mm II R and 17mm f/1.8 without any issue. I assume this is some kind of a software related problem...

Hope this helps,
    V

4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Sounds kind of like what happens on the E-M1 when using live view boost 2, switching to 1 'fixes' it. Two is boost *and* a slow shutter speed, it's only really meant for astrophotograpghy afaik.

Edit: It's the second page of the "display" settings menu, display boost -> whichever shooting mode -> off or #1.

5. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Nice tip! Just tried, and I'm afraid it didn't fix the issue.

Display > Frame Rate does actually have a "high" option, and turning it on stops this problem; so it's a low light = low frame-rate issue.

You can definitely see the same low frame-rate and tearing on the back LCD if you watch carefully while panning, but it doesn't flicker so it's not so noticeable; it's like the EVF is inserting a black frame between images when it drops to low-frame rate mode. I too hope it's fixable in software rather than being a problem with the new OLED EVF panel.

For now I only get this problem with 14-42 EZ and 12-50 zoom, and it's really only a problem when zoomed to mid-long end, and using it indoors, so I'm guessing the camera just isn't getting enough light at those low f-stops. Honestly it's not been an issue in real world use so far, so I'm not too worried anymore.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1