EM10 Mark ii... high res mode and or focus stacking in the future??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tall Guy, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    Since this camera is part of the latest offering from Olympus, does anyone "in the know" have an idea if either of these is possible with a firmware update? If they are, how likely is it going to happen? I realize this camera is their base model OMD body but a fellow has hopes without spending more on the EM1 for stacking or the EM5 mark ii for high res mode. I would certainly appreciate the weather sealing but I like the cost of my EM10 mark ii.

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I am pretty sure that high resolution and focus stacking are beyond the limits of the EM10. I also don't see them adding it to the EM10 line even in the future.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know if it is beyond the hardware limits, but I'm certain it is beyond the marketing limits. They want those features to be a reason for you to pony up for the more expensive E-M5 II. I would be highly surprised if those trickled down to the E-M10 series.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They don't really put deep enough RAW buffers in the low end models to handle such multishot features.

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I also heard that the IBIS is the same as the E-M1, which also can't do high-res. I suspect that the micro adjust required to shift the sensor by a pixel at a time is just too much to ask of the old IBIS technology.

6. tkbslc

E-M10 II buffer can handle 22 RAW/36 JPEG frames at 8.5fps vs 16 RAW/19 JPEG frames at 10fps on the E-M5 II.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Interesting... that was definitely Olympus' line for why in camera focus stack would only be for the E-M1.

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The EM1 has a much larger buffer then either and is why it is the only one to have the focus stacking. To lazy to look up the stats.

9. tkbslc

41 RAW/65 JPEG frames at 10fps.... :)

That's why 4K is so nice for this kind of stuff, even if it is only 8MP JPEG. Infinite frames at 30 shots per second!

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    If Olympus put everything in EM-10, no need for E-M5 or E-M1. Lower cost = less features.

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm too lazy to do the statistics too (my brain hurts too much to think about it. :rolleyes: )
    Anyhow, here are the complete
    Max. recordable pictures
    on sequential shooting *
    for each

12. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I asked Olympus if they could/would implement HiRes Mode to E-M10II and the answer was: not going to happen. I guess it's either because
    a) E-M10II has the E-M1 IBIS or
    b) it could cannibalize E-M5II/E-M1II sales

Too bad since I would have ordered one already if they even said "it's possible"... :p

13. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Please, no. I value the small and light form factor of the E-M 10 ii. I prefer it to the E-M5 ii. Those who want features like HiRes Mode, dual levers, and weather sealing can get the 5 or soon to be announced E-M 1 ii.

14. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I think I'm going to take a hard look at the EM5 mk ii for the high res and weather sealing. Didn't really want to pay that extra for those features and the two way switch in the back. I think the EM10 mk ii is the perfect camera with just a couple of features left off. I too believe the drive to leave them off is more for marketing and less about capabilities. I appreciate all the input on this matter. I would sure like to have focus stacking built in. Maybe sometime in the future the EM5 mk ii will get it for jpg only if buffer size is a problem. If it comes, I'm sure it will be well after the release of a new flagship body.

15. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I don't get it... What does adding features (like HiRes Mode) via FW updates to E-M10II take away from the camera? How on Earth could it be a bad thing? The camera has already been released a long time ago so adding features wouldn't affect the price anyhow.

Weathersealing would be nice on E-M10III. It's not like it's gonna cost 100$ more because of that. But it's not going to happen so end of discussion I guess... :p

16. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Adding some of the features you list would make the em-10 larger and heavier. Some of us really want a camera that is as small and light as possible. The three OMD models presently give us all some choices.

17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Just tell me how a firmware upgrade could make a camera larger and heavier. :D The hardware inside E-M10II is definitely capable of focus stacking and - who knows - maybe even HighRes mode. I believe adding a few kilobytes of data into the camera's firmware doesn't add any weight to the camera... :biggrin:

And as for the weather sealing... My initial reply doesn't say anything about that and the comment I made about it was entirely a separate issue. But if you insist, weathersealing doesn't necessary add weight or size either. Price on the other hand...

18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The hardware in the EM10mk2 is not capable of either so it's a moot point. Olympus has come out and said why high resolution was not added to the EM1 or EM10mk2 (the IBIS in either camera is not capable). They have stated why focus stacking was not added to the EM5mk2 and EM10mk2 (buffers not large enough). If that is true or not we really don't know, but that's their official stance so it does not really matter.....does it?

As far as adding it to future models, who knows. I can see where smaller bodies would not have the room for some features, hardware to perform these functions have to go somewhere (different IBIS, chips for bigger buffer). So it's realistic to think those features could add size. The biggest reason for not adding them tho is that Olympus is not going to put all the bells and whistles in every camera. If they did, why make 3 different cameras at different price points?

If you want high resolution buy an EM5mk2 or wait for the EM1mk2 which will probably have it.

If you want focus stacking buy an EM1 or wait for the EM1mk2 and get both focus stacking and high resolution. Or......buy software to stack your photos that you used the focus bracketting feature of your camera (FYI, you will get better results then using focus stacking)

19. daoust

daoust New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2016
    Maybe if we show our interest in a petition, they can provide us a good firmware update for picture mode and video mode. If they are scare to loose money, they can sell us updates.