EM10 level inaccurate

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Sep 20, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    The level on my new EM10 seems to lean more to one side. I tried resetting the level to the factory setting but it didn't change, indicating to me it was calibrated in the wrong position.

I know there is a setting to change it manually, I haven't tried that yet as I don't have a reference for a proper flat surface and I don't want to play around with that just yet.

What worries me about this is clearly the camera was calibrated with the wrong level setting. I don't know if they are all calibrated individually, I doubt it, or it may mean there is something else wrong with the sensors/accelerometer or mainboard itself.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    My E-P5 also had wrong balance when it came from factory. I just calibrated it in camera settings, then it works perfectly. Don't worry and try calibration.
  3. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I had the same experience as Yong with my E-M10, originally it was slightly off, I did the calibration once and have had no problems since.
  4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Totally unacceptable. WTF oly. I hope this isn't indicative of any other glitch or issue with the software or firmware or mainboard. I haven't noticed anything funny with any other features but I can't now help but think what if other things are off too, like the shutter speeds other aspects of the electronics. Probably not but it's still annoying as hell.

Btw, what's your recommended best way of self calibrating it? I've set it on a table but I'm not satisfied it's 100% straight. Am I going to have to buy a carpenters level to do something their technician should have done back in the factory?
  5. Cubanaso61

Cubanaso61 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2015
    I would also recommend attaching a bubble level on your hot shoe, that allows you to carry it with you to verify the on board level.
  6. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I've used those on older bodies, never got any real use from them though. I like how those things looked on my GF3 and EPl3 but they would just add bulk to the prism on this body and look sort of silly since these bodies are already supposed to have those features built in fully working!

Sometimes it's like they do these things on purpose to piss us off:)
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... how did you level your table, or did you assume in came pre-leveled ....
  8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    Relax. Ever had to calibrate an iPhone compass? A Wii Remote? Accelerometers sometimes need recalibration, which is why there's a built-in menu option for it.

And if you live in a home that was built with modern tools (and not mud bricks) you are surrounded by level objects. A table, the floor, match your viewfinder's grid lines to a door frame, etc.

I've seen people freak out about insignificant camera issues in this past, but this takes the cake.
  9. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    The table I speak of in my apartment, the one I used to calibrate it was built into the wall by some guy wearing suspenders and a semi-mullet. While I trust the quality of his workmaship, I don't know if it's the best thing to be using for calibrating a camera that should already have been set before being shipped out for sale to begin with.

A lot of people rely on the level gauge heavily to help in composing shots, it's a necessity in many modern cameras, especially one in this price range. It's not like a loose battery cover or creaking body when you squeeze your hand around the thumb grip which has no bearing on the final result of the image.

There are workarounds for this sort of thing but when did it become ok for this sort of thing to be considered acceptable out of the box?
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  10. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    A glass of water on a table; the water will be perfectly level. Switch on the grid, line up with the water level, and bob's your uncle.
    As for 'what else is off'; there is a reason why you can recalibrate the level, but not the shutter speeds or focus. No need to get in a panic over this, its a normal thing.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A calibrated level indicator still has some degree of flexibility built into it whereby it will light up green when level and +/- a small margin. An error as a small as one half of a degree will be obvious in a print if there are straight lines near the edges of the frame that should be horizontal or vertical, so even with a calibrated level indicator you are likely to still be dependent on software distortion correction tools to get an image just right.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    As long as it's not three or four dots off like it was on mine earlier I'm good.

Anyway, I've taken it to Olympus and they sorted it out for me. They know me over there, didn't even ask if it was under warranty or ask to see the receipt just handed it in, explained my issue and played with an em5ii while i waited for them to reset it for me.

Had lunch with a friend after and spent the rest of the afternoon taking perfectly level images before heading back home.

Olympus HK - Best customer service ever!
  13. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Yes, I've heard their work is on another level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1