1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 left out?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by diselgl, Nov 21, 2015.

1. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    Why do I get the feeling that the em10 is being left out on the firmware updates?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Perhaps because Olympus' own announcements (e.g. here) have referred specifically to version 4.0 for the E-M1 and version 2.0 for the E-M5 Mark II - presumably if they were planning anything significant for the other OM-Ds around the same time they would have mentioned it.

As an E-M10 (mark 1) owner I don't expect to receive any major upgrades in future - there aren't all that many differences between mark 1 and 2 to start with, so if they added a lot of the newer features to the the mark 1 via software the mark 2 might become rather a hard sell.

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have an E-M10 i, I don't expect any significant updates. Same with the E-M5 i, I don't expect any significant updates on models where Olympus has released a newer version. The E-M10 ii is newly released so there probably won't an update there for a while as well. I don't think that Olympus is being kind to its customers, rather I think that they are motivated by keeping their current offering competitive until their next model release.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    To be honest, I don't miss anything major from my E-M10 MkI, and I'm not aware of any real flaw or gap, so I'm basically happy as it is. I certainly don't need any new features. If there was a real bug, I'd expect an update, but as it is, there's simply no need.

M.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'd really like the multi colour focus peaking...

6. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I was never expecting it to receive all the updates like the E-M1 and E-M5 II. That would make upgrading to the E-M10 II almost pointless ;)
    But I am surprised they aren't putting out a small update to include some of the minor tweaks that makes life easier, without fear of cannibalizing E-M10 II sales: Disabling MF clutch, menu position memory and customizing the SCP.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Be happy with what you've got, enjoy the moment. Hard to improve perfection.

just my tuppence worth.

Phil

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    What you are describing would be nice, but definitely is not standard practice among camera manufacturers. Once a camera has been replaced, they typically stop doing firmware updates. And, honestly, it probably makes sense from a sales perspective.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    within pricing limitations naturally.

10. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I found one major flaw with the E-M10 which is common with the E-M5 that I do not think can be remedied by any update. Not enough time to actually get out to places I want to photograph to use and properly enjoy these cameras.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I get the feeling you are expecting a FW update to turn a E-M10 into a E-M1 or a E-M5ii.

I can't see it, there has to be some differentiation between 'upper' and 'lower' or why waste our money buying the 'upper'.

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

E-m1 gets updates because it is a current model. The E-M10 II made the E-M10 a deprecated product. I would not expect any updates because the update is the new camera model.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    E-P5 hasn't been replaced yet, so it's a current model, but I get the feeling there'll be no more updates for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Maybe the rumoured PEN with an EVF for early next year is the replacement. If that was the case then I can see why they wouldn't want to do much for the E-P5 now. Also it wasn't a good seller when the OM-D models outsold it.

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I hope this is not the case. I'm happy with fast release cycles (like one year long) but not if this means to abandon cameras released less then two years ago.
    This does not happen for many other products: support and updates are not immediately stopped as soon as a new product is released, especially for product intended to last a few years. This would be just an horrible marketing strategy.

The E-M10 should not get all the premium features like the E-M1, but a couple of small improvements, in usability and extra or improved features (like peaking for example) should be done not to make owners feel left out of the party.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The reason the E-M1 is getting these updates is because it won't be replaced until Photokina next year (October, unless competition necessitates it to come earlier) & since the E-M10 Mk II (an entry level camera) & E-M5 Mk II (for enthusiasts) are lower models than the top Pro model & have these new features (or some), then they need to have the top model with the same features (at least) to make it relevant in the market otherwise it won't have the same appeal.

You bought the E-M10 & it is a nice capable entry level camera that actually came with a feature that the other models didn't have, Live Composite. Thankfully the higher models got it in a firmware update later, but now the E-M10 has been replaced with the E-M10 Mk II & I would think the only updates that are likely to come for the E-M10 & E-M5 now are just lens compatibility updates etc. I'm sorry if you feel left out but that is life.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It's not life, it's called Olympus product/marketing strategy. Anyway I'm not complaining.

I was only pointing out that the release of a new model is not the deciding factor or at least should not be in the fw updates policy (especially with short cycles). It's clear that the E-M1 is a special case here as they are trying to stretch the sales period more than usual.

"Forcing" customers to update model, as a message, is not a nice message to give. Telling "you got what you paid for, I'm done with you, you have nothing to complain about" is another message no sane company should ever give to their customers (even implicitly).

18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Fuji updated their X-E1 and X-Pro cameras after the newer models came out. So there is precedent for manufacturers to do so.

I wouldn't expect Olympus to push out a huge update to the E-M10. But a couple software features would be nice. Think of it as a way to thank loyal customers. The aforementioned focus-peaking colors would be fairly simple, I would think.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I believe the camera manufactures have taken a page out of the women’s clothing industry sales manual. Come out with something new every year and make last years model at least appear unfashionable.

Camera manufactures are facing a market that is shrinking and for the most part is saturated. They have to work harder for every sale and for many, the only way they can continue in business is to entice their existing customer base to buy new cameras more frequently. To do that they roll out incremental improvements on a near yearly basis. On some levels this works for them. However for folks like myself who buy heavily into a system every seven or eight years, go through the learning curve and then live with what we have, this does not suit the manufactures planned obsolesce business model so well.

In much the same way that the ladies clothing industry does not provide a means for free modifications to the previous years garments to bring them up to the current socially acceptable configurations, there is no financial benefit for camera manufactures to offer free upgrades to previously sold pieces of equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think it is not related to fashion and obsolescence, they are simply moving to modern models of manufacturing (Toyota, lean, etc.). There are a lot of good reasons to release products as fast as possible: to have an always up to date tech, less risk for long running projects, faster feedback from the current products that allows to improve the next sooner, products closer to what the markets wants today, easier to fix bad placements, etc. These things are good both for producers and customers.

Customers can get a little confused and could think that the company is playing bad marketing tricks, to force upgrades, planned obsolescence, etc. while they are simply offering a better service. This is why it is important not to give wrong messages to current customers.

Planned obsolescence exists, and is often badly exploited, and maybe you could have both in this case but are not the same thing and you can have only one of them.