1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em10 issues and warranty question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ColinC, Jul 25, 2015.

1. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    I am having an issue with my with my 2 and a 1/2 month old em10. The issue I'm having is getting to be pretty vexing I have had to reset the the settings in my camera 3 times now each time because my camera started behaving strangely. I,m quite certain there is something wrong with my camera but I don't know what. My major question is this has any one who lives in the desert in the U.S. Had problem getting Olympus America to honor their warranty.

2. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    It might help if you would further define the problem your having, ie; stuck shutter, white balance error, etc.
    I cannot speak to the warranty issue, but if it is less than 90 days old maybe your retailer will swap it out.

3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    What does that have to do with anything? What do you define as the desert that would have an impact on a camera warranty or for that matter getting any camera service? I don't understand as I also live in what some call a desert environment.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I took it to mean that the camera has sand/dust in it, which could void the warranty. Or maybe the OP is just concerned that Olympus has a bias based on where someone lives...

5. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Pertaining to the issues issues Im experiencing every couple of weeks after the first time I reset my camera the first time being because I could no longer change the focusing point in the camera from the center point to anything else which I still can't do unless i exit live view and change the focus point that way. My camera develops new increasingly severe issues the most recent of which is any pure black areas of what i am taking a picture of develops image corruption in which the black parts of the image turn electric blue but only appears on the rear screen and i place my eye to evf the image corruption goes away until the next time i turn on my camera at which point it comes back. What is very unusual about all of this is at least with the blue blacks resetting my settings works but only for about a week or less. As far as my concerns about the warranty coverage I also live in the Sonoran desert and am aware from the documentation about my camera from the olympus website that no olympus camera is rated to operate at less than thirty percent humidity or to be stored at less than ten percent humidity. If you don't believe me check the olympus website its spelled out very clearly. The reason this concerns me is because I have no experience dealing with Olympus as a customer and don't know what they stipulate in their warranty coverage as to what as defined as "violating the warranty" and have been unable to find any documentation pertaining to what my warranty statement actually is. Thus why I asked if anyone has had any issues getting olympus to honor their warranty. As for the retailer question I bought my camera from Adorama and they only have a thirty day return and exchange policy and having not had an issue like this before with any item i have purchased from them I can't say wether or not they would exchange my malfunctioning camera for a working unit. The reason I am asking this hear is this is only my second camera and i haven't had this kind of problem before so I honestly don't know what to do In this situation.

6. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    If humidity issues were a concern we could not use such cameras here in the southern parts of Arizona where not only do we use them but camera stores occasionally sell them. As I write this I just checked and the temperature in Scottsdale at this time is 107 with a humidity reading of 6%. Now if someone left the camera in a car and let the sun beat down on it, then that might be an issue. But then anybody who does that deserves what they get. You have had the camera past the normal 30 day store return period so I would guess that it is now a warranty issue.

By the way, I saw no such disclaimer about humidity in the Olympus Warranty that came with my cameras.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Thank you for clearing that up because in all honestly I didn't know what the situation was or what i should even do in this situation. In fact your response genuinely is exactly what I really needed to find out so i can rest easy contacting Olympus to get my camera repaired under warranty. Thank you! :)

8. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Thank you. That is exactly what i needed to find out!:)

9. proximal

proximal Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2011
    Does it only show on the rear screen and not in the actual image if you take one and view it on the computer? If so, you're just somehow activating the mode that highlights over/under exposed portions of your image. Push the info button and it should switch out of that display mode.

How are you trying to select the focus point?

10. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Thats what the problem is? Well i feel like an idiot. I have been trying to change the focus point using the d-pad on the back of the camera is that not how you do that?

11. proximal

proximal Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2011
    It has to be set to do that.

Menu -> Gears (Custom Menu) -> Button/Dial -> Button Function. The sixth line down selects what the D-pad function is. Push the right d-pad button and go up or down until you see an option that looks like "[---]". Push OK.

If you don't want the highlight/shadow display in your LCD, it can be disabled:

Menu -> Gears (Custom Menu) -> Display/Sound/PC -> []/Info settings -> LV-Info -> Uncheck the highlight & shadow option.

12. ColinC

ColinC New to Mu-43

May 5, 2015
    Thank you so much!:)