1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 ii (Mk2) Hints and Tips

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    I thought it would be helpful and informative to existing and new users of various M43 cameras to have a series of 'Hints and Tips' threads
    I would suggest that the threads be limited to and specific to mainly newly or recently released Bodies (older bodies will have already had many threads generated with regard to such matters)
    I would invite entries from anyone wishing to add further information, hints and tips and those wishing to ask specific questions with regard to the operation of each specific model
    It would be helpful if we could please keep the threads on topic without unecessary discussion being added so that they can be used for quick access for operational advice and info.
    We may then have a simple guide for each model rather than several threads for various operational matters
    I will start this one off on the next post ( focussing points on Targetting pad)
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Seamless Focus Points in Viewfinder with AF Targetting Pad
    (rather than moving around the focus point grid)

I noted recently on another thread that someone believed that the Targetting AF Focus Points when Moving Focus Pounts on the Screen Whilst Viewing Through The EVF were subject to moving only around the Focus Point Grid and that they could not move the focus point accurately enough -

If you switch on the EM10 ii and put it up to your eye and use your finger on the screen to move the the Targeting AF points - the focus point grid is displayed and when you move the focus point with your finger the active focus point moves from one grid position to the next

HOWEVER if after you switch the camera on and BEFORE you bring it up to your eye - you touch the Screen to activate a focus point as if you were going to use only the screen and not the VF - and then put the camera up to your eye and use your finger on the screen you will find that the Active Focus Point will now move seamlessly around the screen without the Grid showing and without the Active point moving in steps accross the screen.
    The available area is still limited by the grid area outer limits as it would be with the grid being visible but you only have the active point showing and you can use it to select your focus point more accurately
    This doesn't have to be done on switching the camera on - it can be done after a previous capture in the same way
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    Cool .. thanks for that.

But .. it confused me a bit at first .. so to add a bit.

If you are moving the focus-point around with the grid-showing .. then you are fixing the focus point on the screen to where it will be when you turn the track-pad off.

If you are moving the focus-point around w/o the grid-showing (as mentioned above) .. then the focus point is only relevant while the track-pad is on. When you turn tracking-off (using icons on the touch-screen) . .the focus point will leap to where it was set when the grid-boxes where showing.

As mentioned .. that confused me for awhile. After experimentation .. for me it is best to have the focus point in the middle .. and then only move focus with grid-boxes off.. and then when done .. turn track-pad off (just using the icons on the touch-screen) so the focus point jumps back to the middle.

4. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi re focus point selection above
    i have my fn2 button assigned to return focus points to home
    I then highlight the centre focus point from the visible grid
    Pressing the home (fn2) button then returns to multi point focussing
    When I want to use the Targetting pad I pull the screen away from my face and touch it to activate the seamless (non grid) focus points
    When I no longer wish to move the seamless points I press OK and the focus point disappears and the centre point or (invisible ) multi point is again highlighted until I press the home to return to multi point or single point depending on what I had toggled to last
    (If you do not engage the seamless points you can toggle between centre point and multi point using fn2 (or whatever button you choose as home button))
    Takes some practice but makes 3 different focussing options almost instantly available
    Rob