EM10 ii backbutton focus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hyy, Sep 3, 2016.

1. hyy

hyy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    hi, i understand this has been asked many times. but i still can't find a clear answer to my doubt.

when i set my fn to focus, then when i depress the fn button, a green light appear. so should i keep holding(depressing) the button and take my shot or i can now remove my fn button once the green light appear?

by holding the fn button down, is it continuously re-focusing like AF-C or does it just show that i have focus(once) only?

to add on, should i use a single box or 9 box for focusing? mainly shooting portrait(full body).

please advise, thank you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Not knowing exactly how you set up your camera, typically you set up back button focus so the back button enables continuous focus and use the shutter button to NOT change the focus but actually take the shot.

So to answer your question, as long as you continue to hold down the "back button" your camera will keep focusing. When you let go the focus will stay were it last was. You can now use the shutter button to take the shot if you like and it will be at the last focus spot.

The idea of the back button being continuous focus is that it can be C-AF by holding it down or it can be pseudo "S-Af" but simply momentarily pressing it. One advantage of this mode is you can use it to prefocus on a location and wait for the "action" to come to this area and fire away without worrying about the shutter button causing the AF to move somewhere you didn't want it (think sports shooting where you pre-focus on the baseball batter, the hockey goalie, the basketball net, etc.).

3. hyy

hyy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    Hi Pakkyt, i have set my FN to AEL/AFL and mode3 for my S-AP.

So should i default it as S-AP? and by holding down fn(backbutton) it will react like i am in 'C-AF' mode even though i am set to S-AP?

4. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    Late response, but that is NOT how it works on the EM1.

In S-AF mode, the back button can be pressed as long as you like, but it only focuses once per press. The green focus highlight blinks over the focus point, and then it's done. You must release and repress to focus again.

In C-AF mode, holding the button down keeps trying to focus.

Perhaps the EM10-II works differently, I don't have one to test with. Easy enough to test by just focusing on something close in S-AF mode, and then move the camera to focus on something far away and see if focus changes.

One point of backfocus is to separate the exposure lock from the focus lock, allowing focus lock, then a recompose and exposure is determined in final framing, not pre-recompose framing. With focus&exposure connected, recomposing will potentially changed the metering of the scene, and give you an incorrect exposure.