1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 extra batteries (BLS5)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jcm5, Jun 29, 2014.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Anyone have suggestions on where I can get extra batteries for good price for the EM10? I know Olympus sells them for $60 but I'd rather not pay that much... any suggestion welcome! Thanks

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Yep. I bought one made by hahnel second hand in eBay and it works as well as the original. Even new they are half the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I was impressed by this link that describes the knock-off battery business in China. so I bought a pair of their BLS-5 batteries off ebay. LOL. One of them swelled up and got stuck in my EPL1. At least the other one works.

Look at amazon,com reviews for any knock-off battery, even if highly praised, there's always a few complaints on failure.I feel that when we buy knock-offs, no matter who makes them, we are accepting a lower quality standard for a lower price.

For me, that's an acceptable risk for saving money. I've bought six BLS-5 copies and had that one failure. I had seven BLN-1's for my EM5 and two of them quit holding charge after a few months.

4. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
  5. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    I have had excellent service from my Hahnel.
    I looked at many 3rd party batteries but the voltage was not the same as the Olympus originals.
    The Hahnels were the correct 7.2V

6. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    If you prefer the ones from Olympus, B&H sells them for $39.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I believe that BLS1 batteries are fully compatible (from earlier PENs) and may be available used on eBay etc
    Regards
    Rob

8. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I second ErnieH's recommendation of Wasabis. Got a "kit" of two with a cordless charger from Amazon and have HS no problems with them.

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    X on Wasabi

10. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Nuteshack, I have read that others have had issues with Wasabi, but I have had no bulging or power issues with the three I have had for several months and uses heavily.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Work fine for me and last longer than the Oly battery

12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Nuteshack, guess I misinterpreted your "X!" Thought that was a thumbs down. Sorry.

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Oops... Sorry

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've been using MaximalPower batteries in my E-M1's and I've had no problems at all. They don't charge to as high a voltage on the Olympus charger (it charges them to 8.2 volts not 8.4 like a real BLN-1) however they've been consistent the entire time I've been using them (almost 10 months now) and haven't changed in capacity. When doing timelapse I generally get around 1.2k pictures off a single battery, however that is with basically everything disabled (no LCD, no image stab, no focusing, basically nothing but the shutter). I normally get 300-600 pictures in normal usage depending on how much I use the rear LCD, if I leave it disabled and turn the camera off as much as I can they last forever, also depending on if I'm using things like short shutter release time or image stabilizer on half press (much more effective doing bursts, if the image stab is only turned on at full press you tend to get shutter shock on the first image, the 2nd, 3rd, etc are generally fine(this is assuming you have turned on IS for bursts, it's disabled by default...), ymmv (remembering that you can't use electronic short curtain for bursts, this is only really an issue doing things such as HDR I find, most other usage of burst for me is using very short shutter speeds where it's less of an issue)).

I've had a very good run with third party batteries, I was using DSTE branded BLM-5's in my E-5 and I never had a single failure (I still have half a dozen in use), and they're one of the brands with the worst reputation.

I suspect the biggest problem with third party batteries is batch variation, while I might have ones from a good batch the current batches might be absolute crap. With the Olympus branded ones you can be almost certain that they're of reasonable quality and there won't be much variation at all.

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Good word

16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I bought a Polaroid BLS5 1440 mAh battery and matching universal charger from Amazon for $34.98 CDN. The battery works well so far. The Olympus battery is only 1100mAh, I believe.

17. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    Thanks everyone for the various suggestions.

A follow-up: do third-party batteries require THEIR OWN specific battery charger, or can I buy the Wasabi or Polaroid, or etc., and charge them using my Olympus charger that came with my EM10? Thanks

18. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    You should be okay using the Oly charger with 3rd party BLS5s

19. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Hi All,

I Am looking to purchase an EM10 very soon and was thinking of the Duracell BLS5. Has anybody had any Experience with these?