EM10: Dead Battery, or . . . ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sammykhalifa, Aug 24, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    A bit of a scare when I was out shooting this afternoon. I changed lenses to my 45-200 to get some long shots. When I turned the camera back on, the screen turned black and I heard some bumping noises from somewhere near the front of the camera. I turned it off and back on again, and it worked for a while again and then started doing it again.

I thought my lens was going bad. I changed lenses to the 45 and things started working normally again. I was upset about the lens, but was relieved that it wasn't the camera. But then it started doing it with that lens as well. On one occasion, when I removed the lens the shutter was still shut over the sensor. Oh no! It seems to be the camera after all!

When I got home, I tried changing batteries out of desperation, to a charged generic I have; and at least for the moment things seem to be working. I have two legitimate Olympus batteries (one from my EPL2 and the new one), but the one is drained so I can't test the other one. When attempting to re-charge the battery that now seems to be causing the problems, it appeared to charge for a while when the charger started blinking yellow. I plugged the other Olympus battery into the charger, and at least so far it's charging as normal.

Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness style of my post here, but even though I think I have isolated the issue I'm still pretty worried. I have not marked one of them as the "new" battery and one as old; but the date on the faulty one is 2010, and the good one 2012. Does it sound like I'm on the right track here? It will be a bummer if my battery is bad, but it beats the alternative. I guess I just need a little reassurance here. Has anyone else had a battery go bad, and does this sound familiar? Have I done permanent bad things using this bad one in my camera?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm afraid even an Olympus battery can die too. It's pretty unusual but it does sound like the battery isn't happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, I know. If that's all it is I'll be happy and feel like I dodged a bullet . . .

4. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Went on a "test run" this afternoon and everything seems to be okay so far. Fingers crossed . . .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.