1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM10 (currently own) vs. EM5II...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by derelict, Dec 8, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I love my 10. I have been using it for a bit now and it is great. High ISO, like very high, leaves a bit to be desired but something I can work around. I got an Olympus email this morning and the deals on the EM5II are incredible right now and have given me pause. What are the main advantages, besides weather sealing (which requires sealed lenses of which I do not currently own any), of the 5II over my current 10?

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    As someone who has used and loved the em10 since it came out and who just bought an em5ii on Cyber Monday, here are some more advantages.

Better video
    Significantly better IBIS
    High resolution mode
    Focus bracketing
    Silent shutter option
    Much faster shutter speeds (1/16000 using the electronic shutter)
    Better built body (more metal, less plastic)
    More function buttons you can assign

There is more, but many of the above are things that mattered to me, so I jumped on the deal.

3. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I never really take video so I never considered that. Body being metal is something I did not consider though. The 10 does not feel cheap to me but I could see where some tactile feel could be injected through the use of metal. How is photo quality vs. the 10, particularly at high ISO levels?

4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    IMO, if you are looking for a significant increase in image quality you should hold on to your EM10 and wait for future generations of the bodies. The differences, if measurable, are not going to amount to much. If you like the ergonomics (more buttons) or the improved Image stabilization then it might be something to consider.

A future body with an ISO 50 mode or perhaps significant noise reduction at higher ISO values or more dynamic range will come eventually. In the mean time, you can take fantastic shots with your EM10 which has about the same sensor as most of the recent m43 models going back to the E-PM2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have had both. In addition to the high res mode (never tried the video), the major advantages are the quiet shutter, the better battery, and the IBIS. If you really are looking for higher image quality, hold off and wait for something with a new sensor. The only high iso advantage of the EM5 II for casual shooting is that the better IBIS might allow longer handheld shutter speeds. Of course, If you get a $550 EM5II and sell your EM10 for $250 or so that's a reasonable return on investment.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  6. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I agree that the EM10 does not feel cheap by any means, but the EM5II is even nicer. The differences are subtle, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    This is what I am thinking about. Olympus has the 5II on special right now. I could sell my 10 and come out with an affordable upgrade. But, it might not really be too much of an upgrade. I have the 10 dialed in so I can grab what I want without actually looking. It takes great photos and they blow up quite nicely. I every once in a while hit an issue with shake but have a monopod and tripod that I carry into situations where the shutter might have to stay open beyond my ability to remain still.

What is the high resolution mode?

Basically, this decision boils down to new body or a 17/ 1.8 and that specially priced P25, once B&H gets it in stock.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    While I appreciate what the E-m5II brings, I am sticking with my E-M10. I haven't reached its limits with my skills.

I will, however, look to get a used E-M5I sometime this spring. It will pair with the 14-150 II that I somehow ordered yesterday on the Encore. They will be my weather-sealed kit.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Unless you need the 40mp hi res mode, better IBIS and silent shutter, the E-M10 is a fine camera. I upgraded my E-M10 to the E-M5 II though, because I do use the 40mp mode quite a bit, but that mostly applies to those who shoot off a tripod and if you need high res prints.

10. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    How does the high res work? I do shoot cars and details off of tripod and monopod

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    My wife has the E-M10 and I use the E-M5 II. One of the big differences, at least for me, is the ergonomics. The E-M5 II grip and thumb stop make the camera feel like it was made for my hand.

13. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    So, it is the same system Pentax (I still use my Pentax gear) uses in their K3 lineup. Gotcha. Pretty interesting system.

There are a few complaints about shutter shake on the 5II. Is this less pronounced in the 10? I swear I have never felt anything like that?

The 5II is seeming more and more appealing.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I actually think the E-M10 mkI and E-M5 mkII thumb grip feel similar, the E-M10 mkII thumb grip I did not like at all.

A few downsides to the E-M5 mkII as compared to the E-M10 mkI.
    1. Flip versus tilting screen, this is a plus or minus depending on your preference. I'm living with the flipout, but actually prefer the tilting.
    2. The E-M5 mkII is also notably bigger and heavier. While on paper it might not seem like much I think it does in the hand. And while agree the E-M10 doesn't really feel cheap, the solid feel of the E-M5 adds to the weighty feel. The original E-M10 and 14mm pancake was a nice little package, the E-M5 mkII makes me think about grabbing one of those GM1's cheap.
    3. Like the E-M1 I had the E-M5 almost has too many customize buttons, I've left several at their default just because I can't think of a better use for them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Good point. My wife uses her E-M10 w/ either the EZ or O25 as a PEN alternative.

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  17. aznpapaya

aznpapaya Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 1, 2013
    Don't mean to thread jack but I'm in the same dilemma as the OP. I currently have a EPL5 and want to upgrade my body. Oly has the M10 refurb for $288 and M5 Mii for $576. My main concern is IQ, and since a lot of people on here said the IQ between the M10 and M5 Mii is comparable it not logically to spend double for the M5 Mii right? How does the M10 IQ compares to the EPL5? I'm using a 17 1.8, 45 1.8, and 60 macro.

On a side note, I do want to get into videography so M5 Mii does intrigue me.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    All have the same sensor (E-PL5, E-M10, E-M5 mkII). The later two have an updated image processor. If you really want video then I would pick between the E-M5 mkII and maybe the G7, not the E-M10. But as an upgrade to the E-PL5 without taking video into the equation the E-M10 would be great without going crazy.

19. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I agree with David but also would add that if you are doing a lot of macro, the better IBIS and focus bracketing on the EM5II are also worth noting. EM10mkII has the focus bracketing, but EM10MkI does not. I am not sure if the EM10 refurb you're considering is the mk1 or mkII. It's up to you whether or not those things are worth the extra money for you.

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 3