1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 aperture issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Marty Moffatt, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Marty Moffatt

Marty Moffatt New to Mu-43

May 22, 2015
    Marty Moffatt
    Have any of you with an EM10 had any problems with the aperture playing up?

I shoot a lot of rock concerts, usually with Canon DSLR gear. That often means taking lots of shots in quick succession and quite a few lens changes within a short space of time. I’ve shot over a thousand concerts with my Canon gear, but I’m looking to migrate to smaller and lighter MFT equipment. So I got an EM10, with Sigma 7.5mm and Olympus 12-40 PRO lenses, and have been using it to supplement the Canon until I’m comfortable enough with the results to go full time MFT. (The results from the EM10, by the way, when it works, are spectacularly good – as good as anything I get from the Canon)

Last night I took only the EM10. The venue was dark and very cramped so I was switching frequently between the 7.5mm (fully manual lens) and the 12-40 PRO and shooting nearly wide open at high ISO. At some point, I put on the 12-40 and found I couldn’t change the aperture. The dial moved it between F3.5 and F4 and then back to F3.5. It wouldn’t let me set anything outside of that range.

I switched the camera off and on, removed and reset the lens, but it was still stuck between those two apertures. The camera did feel quite warm, because I had been working it hard (something like 500 images taken in a 20 minute timeframe). I had to abandon the rest of the shoot.

This morning, I switched on the camera and it seems to be fine again.

So… was it because the camera got hot, or maybe a combination of that and switching between a fully manual lens and an automatic lens has somehow confused the in-camera computer? I’m confident it wasn’t the 12-40 lens, because I also put on a 40-150 lens temporarily and that too got stuck between F5 and F5.6.

Could it be that using the Sigma lens and manually setting aperture on that is causing the camera not to remember the settings when I put the Olympus lens back on?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Could be a dial malfunction... Do you use the front or rear dial?

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marty Moffatt

Marty Moffatt New to Mu-43

May 22, 2015
    Marty Moffatt
    I've got the rear dial set to adjust aperture and the front for shutter speed.