1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM10 and tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jeff Worsnop, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jeff Worsnop

Jeff Worsnop Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    I recently bought the above camera.
    Yesterday I put it on my tripod with Manfrotto 390 head with quick release plate. I found it difficult to zoom the 14-42 lens because the quick release head got in the way. And My fingers kept accidently changing the lens focus.
    I guess I need a screw fit tripod head.
    Can anyone advise what sort of head to put on my Manfrotto 190 tripod ? Googling has not helped me and neither does the Manfrotto web site.
    Jeff

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Another alternative could be to pick up the Olympus grip (ECG-1). I have the same tripod with a 3030 head and the QR plate works fine with the grip. FYI, I noticed yesterday that a refurb ECG-1 was on sale on eBay for $20 from user olympusgal (no connection to me).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    A small (possibly plate-less) ballhead would fit the bill - Joby does a nice one (though it has a plate), but I think the Manfrotto Ballhead Mini (No. 494) or Compact (No. 496) should both work well enough; of course, if money's no issue, there are much more sophisticated solutions ...

The ECG-1 suggestion is good, too, though the grip's a bit overkill for the the small zoom ...

M.

4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I had the same problem with my EM10 and Manfrotto tripod (I can't remember the model number). My P45-200 wouldn't clear the QR plate, so at first I packed out the plate with washers to give a greater clearance. I've since replaced the tripod for one with an Arca Swiss head, and have the Neewer grip with built in Arca Swiss plate on my EM10. Now it has plenty of clearance and the handling of the camera is greatly improved.

Neewer Black Metal Quick Release L-Plate Bracket Hand: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Yeah, concur with switching to an Arca-Swiss compatible ballhead. Your only problem there will be an overabundance of choices.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    And figuring out which head will do the job without breaking the bank. I've been trying to determine which Arca-style ball head to buy for my little Fotopro 'beer can' tripod. Still agonizing...

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Sirui makes a really nice head, C-10. This head comes with their travel tripods, but you can buy it separately for around $90. Not too big, but it's mightier than it looks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use an Acratech gps on top of my Manfrotto 190...it's way overkill (a carryover from the DSLR days) but I love it. It's an arca Swiss setup and I use the RRS BOEM-1 camera plate on the em1. It'll set you back more than the tripod cost you :) but it works perfectly for me in all sorts of conditions.

9. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks everyone for answers.
    The Manfrotto 494 looks like the answer. I was given Joby wobbly tripod last Xmas and I tried the head on my tripod this afternoon but there was some "give" in the set up and the compatible 494 seems the better solution. The 494 should also be OK for my Sony DSLRs.
    Cheers
    Jeff

10. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Replying to myself.
    The 494 fits on my 190 tripod but the diameter of the base is less than the plate on top of the centre column such that the 3 grub screws that should secure the head have nothing to screw against except fresh air ---Grrrr.
    I have ordered a 2 inch steel washer to fit between the head and tripod to give the grub screws something topush against and secure head. I assume there is a smaller column and top plate somewhere in the Manfrotto catalogue but I couldn't see it.
    Ah well it's all part of joys of moving to 4/3s

11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Is the problem that the QR plate extends too far forward of the front edge of the camera? If so, it may be as simple as drilling a new hole for the 1/4-20 screw or milling a slot so that the plate can slide farther to the rear. If the current plate system is a Manfrotto RC2, I'm sure a little drilling or milling could move the plate rearwards by 1/4" or more. Just look locally for some nut like me that has a small milling machine in his home shop. We're always looking for excuses to play with our toys.

12. Yelkrub

Yelkrub Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2013
    Cheshire, U.K.
    Paul
    I had this problem with my em10 and em5 mkii with the pana 100-300 and was advised to get one of these
    DMW-TA1 Others - Panasonic

Other lenses work fine with the arca Swiss plate from a sirui k-20 ball head and manfrotto 200-pl14 plate on my monopod

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Thanks for reply.
    I have got a ball head so no mods needed for the QR plate, which for the time being will be used for my Sony DSLR - I can sell some Sony stuff but my A580 is not saleable because the battery that controls the date function has failed.
    Jeff

14. Jeff Worsnop

May 20, 2016
    Jeff Worsnop
    Aha. Too late. I have wasted money on aball head.
    I should have been more patient waiting for a simple solution.
    Heff