1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

em1 vs. em5mk2 after a few weeks

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by geesbert, Mar 17, 2015.

1. geesbert

geesbert Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    I can't say I ever enjoyed a camera more than the em1 I have for a year now. and I had many!

it is the camera I carry everywhere, it is just a tad too big to carry comfortably in summer jackets.

so spring is upon us and the smaller em5mk2 is out, so I bought it two weeks ago.

I can't judge on image quality as LR isn't supporting its RAWs yet. I don't do jpgs.

A few observations:

- the smaller size is great, thought the ergonomics of the buttons on the em1 is much better. those top buttons are hard to distinguish whith the camera to the eye.

- the twist and fold out screen sucks. I don't do selfies, so my main use for the tiltable screen is for low to the ground shots and most importantly, switching off the eye sensor when reviewing or showing pictures. it is just cumbersome with the em5 screen.

- the shutter feeling is much better with the em1, the em5 makes a much more rubbery sound, it just doesn't feel as snappy as the em1's. nice to have a no-sound-option, but I prefer a snappy feedback.
    I can feel the shutter in the handgrip of the em5, but I have yet to detect whether it shows up in shutter shock.

- AF is better with the em1, I tend to have more missed focus with the em5

- the em5's SD-card door is beefier, but fiddlier to get the card in and out.

- Battery life sems to be better with the em1, but maybe I play around more at the moment with my new camera.

- em5's better movie mode is nice, though the AF is unusable with video. the inbuilt mice seems to be better too.

so altogether:

I like the Olympus OM-D E-M5 mark 2, but prefer the em1.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
  2. panonski

panonski Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Hi, and thank you for your obseravations here ! You just made my life little easier, cause I have the problem choosing between these two models :)

Any pics will be great, even JPEG-s :)

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm intrigued with the "inbuilt mice" bit ... oh, just got it, ... mic.

I was reading a blog which mentioned how the E-M5MkII finally allows 24fps and an all-proper-frame codec choice. (all intra? )

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Yeah, EM1 definitely seems more ergonomic. I have the EM5II, and I'm quickly realizing I probably need a grip. This is annoying because after buying a grip the price is like an EM1 but without the better AF and build. Though I will have a few more features, better IBIS, and option to remove grip when using small lenses (but I don't currently have any small lenses...). I really like my EM5II but maybe when EM1 Mark II comes I will replace it.

Does anyone have, or can take, a photo of Em1 next to Em5II with HLD grip attached?

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    You can open two browser windows and use this tool to compare the sizes of the different cameras with lenses, grips, etc.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html

6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
  7. jmoore5196

jmoore5196 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    I have never owned an E-M1, so comparing my new E-M5 ii isn't really possible for me. However, I'd argue that the new model is a tremendous upgrade from the original, which I've owned for nearly two years. I can finally operate the camera by touch rather than checking to make sure I hit just the button I want!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    E-M5 II mainly for video, E-M1 for photography.
    Just wait for the 18 MP upgrade, coming soon.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  9. jmoore5196

jmoore5196 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    I think there's an argument to be made for size as well ... handling the E-M1 in stores, it felt substantially bigger than my E-M5. The weight difference is insignificant, but I could not get past the notion that the camera was physically so much larger.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    How do you know this?

11. PowerHawk2015

PowerHawk2015 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    Comparing the EM1 to the EM5 MK 2 is not a fair comparison. What people are doing is comparing a flagship camera to a mid range camera. The flagship cam is going to win out everytime.
    Comparing a second gen camera to a 1st gen is also not comparable, the second gen of the M1 is going to be better equipped than the 1st gen. Comparing the 1st gen of both you suddenly realise there are completely different cameras. A Pro level camera is always going to win out, even if it's 2 generations older.

I doubt the EM5 MK2 has a full magnesium body like the M1. This is something Olympus bragged about when the EM1 was released and even had pics of the magnesium chassis. I'm assuming the MK2 has a magnesium front and top panel like the previous EM5. I've never read or heard of the body of the EM5 MK2 referred to as "full magnesium body", but you do read and see that with the EM1, plenty of pics online of the M1's chassis.
    There is a reason why the EM1 is a pro cam and the M5 MK 2 isn't, the better build, more external controls and the speed/performance. The EM5 MK2 is just not up to the standard of a pro level camera.
    Adding a grip is going to make the EM5 MK2 larger and heavier than the EM1. It's going to be taller for a start, thats a given. When it comes to length it's going to be close. So it's going to cost as much as the EM1 and be larger in size (with height dimensions) but not be up to the same level as mentioned.

For me, the biggest annoyance with the EM5 MK2 is the flip out screen. With wifi and being able to control the camera remotely, it negates the need for an articulating screen. Depending on how close you are to the camera it's going to be hard to make out the settings on a small screen, especially on a well lit day. Try using the selfie screen when you have the ports occupied, eg when tethered or a mic installed. It seems to me Olympus has took a step back, I really hope the EM1 MK2 does not have the same flip out lcd as the EM5 MK2. Selfies are a fad, developing features around a fad is a bad idea, unless its on consumer cameras, not enthusiast camera. I cant take selfie pics seriously. This is just my opinion.

It's a great camera for what it is (EM5 MK2), peoples expectations are somewhat unrealistic.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  12. PowerHawk2015

PowerHawk2015 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
  13. geesbert

geesbert Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    I think it is viable to compare them, being more or les the same price right now. I am sure lots of people try to decide between those two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Agree 100%. I'm trying to get over the articulating screen thing but every time I think about the camera I get angry for Oly's decision to dump the "perfect" E-M5 flip screen. It might be a showstopper for me, I don't know yet.

WiFi alone would have solved the "no fully articulating screen"-problem for most people and I don't get why they had to ruin this mid-range model with a feature that would have suited a bigger/better model far better. It could have been one more selling point to their flagship model if they'd wanted to. Poor move IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I love the flip out screen. Coming from using Panny cams (I do quite a bit of video too) I have never used an Olympus with the tilt screen. Although it is a little tougher getting it out that I'd like, but atleast it's snug.

To each their own I guess.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The flip vs. tilt LCD is a very personal preference. The camera companies are in a no-win on this one. Just FYI, I prefer tilt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    I think thay put flip scr. becase of video - thay want to make em5 more for video use ect.

Btw i had at same time em5 with hdl-6 grip ( only upper grip ) so both em1 and em5 had same "grip" and em5 was even bigger because it was higher so em5 with normal grip ( so you can hold him normaly ) is not smaller than em1..

Em1 have better and more buttons and in em1 thay are on good position, and when you take em1 and em5 in hand than you now why em1 is PRO ;) But silver em5 mk1 and mk2 are beautiful and silver em1 is awful ;)

18. sunnyli903

sunnyli903 New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2015
    Thank you for the information!! I have upgraded to em5ii and still learning how to use it. May i ask how can i switch off the eye sensor when reviewing or showing pictures?

19. SirGadden

SirGadden Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That would have been a neat feature, don't think there is one (yet) tho...

20. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I also like the Em1 style bend screen more than fully articulated one, but saying selfies are a fad is like saying mobile phones are a fad :)