EM1 Vs EM5 mkii

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by magicaxeman, May 27, 2016.

1. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I won't be able to afford the proposed Em1 mk ii but at a push I could afford an EM5 mkii or a 3 month old EM1 & Grip.

I only use the newer Olympus lenses so don't really need the PDAF features but can't make up my mind which to go for.

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have the EM5 mkii. One thing to consider is ergonomics. The EM5 mkii is a little smaller.

Consider the way the screen flips and the grip, etc. to see if one is better than the other.

I like the small size.
    EM5 mkii has (apparently) the newer and more advanced IBIS system.
    It also has the high resolution shot capability (which I have not used anyway at this point)

Just listing a few things to consider here. I am sure the EM1 has its pros also.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, the only thing really keeping me with the E-M1 is the ability to use the excellent 43 telephotos. Otherwise the E-M5II would tick more of my boxes at an equivalent price - I really enjoyed the size/handling of the original E-M5, but the control layout on the E-M1 (which the E-M5II has largerly inherited) is much better.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    While you need PDAF to effectively focus the 4/3 lens, it's also just as important when using m4/3 lens with CAF. If you plan to photograph any type of action or use CAF often the EM1 will perform much better. I have the original EM5 and never use it without the first part of the grip so may as well just carry the EM1. Plus I find the EM1 more comfortable compared to the EM5 with grip, layout is just not as good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I agree with Phocal on this. The E-M1 is actually smaller/lighter than the E-M5 with the half grip. If you can use highres mode then the E-M5mkii makes some sense. Otherwise the E-M1 is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I have both the E-M1 and the E-M5 II. For action and BIFs the C-AF with the PDAF is the winner. Performance wise, all else is pretty equal, unless you have a preference for the tilt only screen of the E-M1 instead of the articulating screen of the E-M5 II. The E-M1 does have the in-camera focus stacking, but I prefer the focus bracketing only and stack externally, which is the same in either model.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M5 Mk2 has better video specs, high res mode obviously, but the E-M1 has distinctly worse long exposure noise compared to other late Olympus bodies, including the E-M5 Mk2. It becomes really problematic at 60s exposure times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The tilting screen is significantly more functional for me. I think the video performance is really a toss up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    FWIW, the two relevant factors which made me choose the E-M5 mk II over the E-M1 for wildlife photography were:
    1. Improved image stabilization.
    2. Improved (less noisy) low light sensor performance.
    A third factor (the provision of a silent electronic shutter) no longer applies — the E-M1 now has a silent shutter too, courtesy of a downloadable firmware update.

10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The ability to use CAF effectively would be very high on the list for shooting wildlife as would the very large buffer for continuous shooting, both of which the EM1 is much better at then the EM5mk2. The EM1 is already way more effective then you really need at image stabilization, it already is capable of getting to the point where subject movement is more of a concern. From what I have seen, the other Olympus cameras only have better low light performance then the EM1 when doing long exposure (something that has been well documented). Not much long exposure photography when it comes to wildlife, now landscape/nature it could be a factor. Electronic shutter is nice if the subject is not moving but for an action shot of bird catching a fish the electronic shutter is all but useless. But, it is nice to have when really close to jumpy animals and I do use it at times especially for deer (who will on occasion look right at me when they hear the shutter, not as bad as when I shot Canon tho).

11. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    This is certainly the limiting factor for SS for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    It probably depends on which flavour of wildlife you're interested in. Your observations make perfect sense to me in the context of fast-moving, well-lit subjects. My logic was based more on shooting larger, relatively slow-moving mammals at dawn and dusk when they're generally most active, where I wanted to be able to handhold at comparitively low shutter speeds so as to keep the ISO down. So for me, C-AF and the bigger image buffer were less of a draw than the IBIS and sensor noise. But for birds in flight and so on, you're probably right. There, I said it! :)

13. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Wait.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. String

String Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2012
    Canada
    Brian
    Of course your situation is probably quite a bit differnt than mine but I'm going ahead and purchasing a new EM-1. I also have full intention of upgrading to the "new" one if it has anything worthwhile. I planned to purchase Mk2 version anyway and keep my E-M5 as a backup however my E-M5 is no longer with us :(

That will give me time to let the initial feeding frenzy of the Mk2 die down and I dont want to be without a camera for the next 6+ months waiting.