EM1 vs A7(R)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43man, Oct 16, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Wow, how exciting today with the announcement of A7/A7R cameras! :eek:

I wonder if any existing EM1 owners are affected by this news like I was. Basically I love my EM1 and all the Olympus lenses, but the A7(R) serves up better specs for "minimalist" photographers like me who likes shooting with a smaller camera with a single prime lens.

Until today, I would not have considered straying but the A7(R) has met all my top requirements: Tiltable LCD, EVF built-in, weather sealing, light-weight and amazing IQ.

I don't care about IBIS so it's not a disadvantage, but the A7(R) still has only onr annoying sticking point which is its loud focal shutter as seen on thecamerastore's video preview. But then the EM1 shutter noise is not that much better either. After getting used to the quiet EM5, and the complete silent shutter of the RX1, every time I engage the EM1 shutter, I feel like I just fired a weapon at somebody.

The only alternative I can think of is the silent electronic shutter of GX7, but, GX7 is not EM1? Enough said. Really confusing times. :confused:
  2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Not comparable IMHO. The a7/7r are more like a FF version of the E-M5; and still can't match its IBIS and burst rate. These may be irrelevant to you but for me, for example, are extremely important.

The E-M1 is more like a :43: version of the D4 or 1Ds. Don't let the similar body size to the Sonys fool you, this is not the issue.

Now if features like a full alloy body, full weather protection, high FPS, large RAW buffer, IBIS-5, ultra quick hybrid AF, 1/320" flash sync, and others, are of no interest to you, then the E-M1 is probably not the camera for you.

Also consider what :43: equivalent lenses you'd want with a Sony. I do believe them when they say they'll have 20 total lenses by the end of 2014, but, for the time being, all they have is release dates for 5 of them. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    It's hard to get excited about anything from Sony after all the bad products and service support they sold me over the past couple decades. However, their competition helps keep the other companies from falling asleep, so it's all good. Albeit I must admit the A7/A7R is the ugliest camera designs I've seen since the Pentax K-01...
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    With all due respect, m43man, it sounds to me like you just want the latest and "baddest" gadget. If a smaller camera with a single prime lens is your preferred set-up, and you don't care about IBIS, why did you even bother to upgrade from an E-M5 to an E-M1?

Just as Vassilios said, the E-M1 and the A7r are different beasts that serve different needs... Sony deserves all the credit for being the first to launch a full frame mirrorless camera with changeable lenses, but the launch didn't do anything to change my enthusiasm on my yet-to-arrive E-M1...
  5. MarinMervis

MarinMervis Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 14, 2013
    That is a great review you posted out there..nice comparison..thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. portadiferro

portadiferro Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2013
    I'm thinking of getting E-M1 and certaibly A7 gave me a pause. And why not if can get better quality for similar price. But so far m4/3 has been perfectly enough for me so I don't really see how bigger sensor would really help me. Other than that, it does seem E-M1 is better camera and I think it looks better. There is better selection of lenses and they are smaller, cheaper and interchangeable with even smaller cameras like the E-PM2 or the upcoming GM1 so I think I'll stick with m4/3.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I'll probably hold off on an EM1 and go for a a7r. I see the EM1 as a little D4 and the A7r as a little D800. Room for both, eventually but I'll stick with the EM5 and add both the Sonys.

If the AF is even close to the Olympus in low light it's be very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    The design is ugly though.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Based on your explanation I'm not quite sure why you chose the E-M1 in the first place. It is about as far from a "minimalist" camera as you can get.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I love a lot of the specs on the A7r. So much so that I'm giving my remaining Canon gear a good, long, hard look and pondering offloading some of the other stuff I don't use enough (Leica 50/2.0 (prefer Contax/Zeiss 50/1.4), Leica 28/2.8 (prefer contax/Zeiss 35/2.8) and the Leica R3 and motor winder that I never actually use, plus probably all the Canon gear) and getting it to complement the future E-M1.

I see the two systems as highly complementary; I shoot a fair amount of landscape, and print more landscape shots than anything else. For general travel and all-round use, the E-M1 will be tough to beat, particularly for telephoto stuff (wildlife) versus a manageable amount of gear. But at its size, the A7r looks like a near-perfect landscape camera for on-the-go, and add a normal fast prime (or contax/Zeiss adapter) and I'm in heaven. What I'm really, really hoping is that Sigma will design some nice fast glass (like the 35/1.4, 50/1.4 or 85/1.4, all stunning bits of glass) for this mount in the coming years. Here's hoping I can raise a fair amount of cash with the 5DII/24-105/35L/135L/15FE :)
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Somehow I don't think a 36 MP FF sensor in a OMD sized body is just a "new gadget". As many have pointed out, that's a significant difference from the OMDs. If you don't shoot sports or need the weather proofing and IBIS, this would have to be a real consideration. The big issue for Sony is catching up on the lens front. This "many lines" approach has the worst impact on the the lens range, despite the use of adaptors. If you are dropping $2000 on a FF body, you're going to want native mount lenses.

It looks like Oly had some influence on this one. Heresy though it may be, Sony and Olympus together could be a really good combination.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    My camera needs are basic.

My EM5 is feature packed...but

Don't use wifi or gps.
    Never shot burst mode of any sort.
    Dont need to trigger my camera via a smart phone.
    Have no real interest in top of the line video.
    Only ever done a tiny handfull of 'bulb' long exposures.
    Tilting LCDs are nice but not of massive importance to me.
    Don't have an interest in in-camera HDR.
    5 axis IBIS is cool but I'd say 95% of my shots are taken faster than 1/50.

Like I've mentioned before, all these amazing features are great, but mostly overkill for my needs. Gimme a killer sensor and lens, a camera that feels nice in hand, a bunch of manual controls that feel nice and a top quality EVF and I'm good to go.

Shooting the RX1 has been an amazing experience thats why I'm so hooked on the idea of the A7.....and the fact that I can get it with the kit zoom for less $$ (or about the same) as the EM1+12-40 combo. I don't care for the zoom however...I've got an eagle eye on that 55mm Zeiss.....I'm also thrilled that Sony is going to go hard with this system....12 new lenses within the next year and a half :)

Still so much to figure out though, still early days.

Kudos Sony.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    As a Canon user, the Sony cameras are quite tempting as a way to get a modern sensor coupled with a lot of excellent existing glass (for example, landscape photography with some of the Canon tilt-shift lenses). The same body could double as a small-ish travel camera, making a good companion to an SLR.

However, as a u4/3 user, I think that they are less compelling. Once you get past the 'wow' factor of the specifications, you'll realise that a lot of the time you are going to need either a very fast shutter speed or a lens with IS (to make the most of the resolution). These lenses are not going to be any smaller or lighter than their Canikon counterparts, making the size benefit considerably less.

The great strength of u4/3 is not just the small body, but also the ability to use really small fast lenses (12mm, 20mm, 25mm, 45mm, 75mm...), all with the benefit of in-body stabilisation.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Very interesting. Anyone hoping for a FF OM-D just found it, I don't see Oly competing with a camera that could be the OM-Ds twin.

It is certainly not an E-M1. They remind me of the 5Dmk3, which doesn't interest me either.

If these were a 1DX style FF I would be very interested. But there still aren't any lenses.
  15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I see the E-M1 and A7(R) complimenting each other nicely, but I don't see one being a replacement for the other. They're two different tools. I'd like to lighten the weight of my bag, so I'd possibly consider one of the Sony's to replace my 5D Mark II, but I'm not in a rush to make any changes at this point. I'll wait until people have the Sony in their hands, start reporting their impressions and posting results.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Only aesthetically, methinks. And even then only because of a relatively boxy pentaprism. If this had IBIS going for it, maybe, but the E-M1 has some unique selling points purely related to physics, i.e. even the 'big' 43 lenses on an adapter will make for a smaller system than any FF system. At least, if you're looking for telephoto capability.

If wide to normal is your deal and you don't mind manual focus (for now), and like shallower DoF at wider focal lengths, need oodles of resolution, then this camera is pretty compelling...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    I was more thinking that Sony's entry into FF mirrorless with a design very similar to the O-MD would make it unlikely that Olympus would also field a camera like this.

However we don't know anything about the lens roadmap. It could be that Olympus is designing the lenses, and maybe they will launch a higher end version of this FF design.
  18. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    I think a lot of Sony cameras are ugly, but to me this one looks the nicest. I won't be getting one though...but interesting specs and size.

I though FF bodies and lenses would be size limited, but looks like they managed to debunk that myth. Makes me wonder why some M43 lenses can't be even smaller than they are.
  19. Daipat

Daipat New to Mu-43

Oct 14, 2013
    The FF sensor in A7/A7r is very tempting. But i need to view from a whole system perspective - the lenses of the A7 system will not be small ....

I agree with the statement earlier by another contributor that the em-1 and A7 are different beasts
  20. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    It's not looking like a mini SLR (OMD like) the least. Bummer the shutter sound is rumored to be loud, because there's no MIRROR! Could have been the poor man leica.
    • Like Like x 1