EM1 toggle switch dual focus mode setting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lightmonkey, Mar 17, 2014.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013

is it possible to set the AEFL toggle switch to switch between center-point S-AF , and full-matrix C-AF TR?

i'd like to be able to offline pre-select between standard mode (center S-AF) , and a fast people-mode C-AF.

problem is, the focus point selection (small vs large vs zone vs full matrix && location) is sticky across both toggle modes.

the 3rd option is to set a focus mode as MySet. problem is MySet also resets to a set exposure mode. id like to keep the exact exposure and be able simply to switch between point focusing and matrix focusing
  2. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    You may already be aware of it, but another option to consider would be to map a button to AF Home. Not only would this button switch to a predefined focus point (or to using all points), but when you press it again it will also switch back to whatever you were previously on. Obviously it's a compromise not a perfect solution, as it's an extra button to press and if you turn the camera off in the Home position it does not seem to remember your "other" position, but it may be the closest you can get, as it would allow quick toggling between center point vs all points.

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit to using all focus points with C-AF TR for people? I've only had my E-M1 a short time and have not had a chance to do much with continuous AF or tracking, but it appeared to me that if you are in C-AF TR and have face detection enabled, it will automatically recognize the face anywhere in the frame and track it regardless of the selected focus point. Whereas if you don't have face detection on (or it doesn't find a face) I'd think it would be more beneficial to explicitly tell the camera what it should track (with center AF point or touchscreen) and then recompose as necessary while it does the tracking.
  3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    yes i have the MySet mapped to a dial and to a button. This solution is less optimal because the Set includes also a base exposure setting!!! - i'd like to retain my exposure mode whether im in A/S/M

though i dont do it much, C-AF TR is for discreet travel street shooting , or shooting from the hips. I could be walking or in a slow moving tuk tuk. I'd give it a few seconds to pre-lock and shoot when the timing's right. If doesnt necessarily need to be eye-focused. The hope is full matrix would lock onto a Body....