EM1 Single point AF the second worst?

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
From the recent "Great Mirrorless Camera AF Shootout" posted by CameraStoreTV, I was shocked to find that "EM1 was the second slowest after the XT-1".

Given the shootout was done before the latest EM1 firmware came out, I wonder if this has changed the ranking? I don't own the GH4, so I can't imagine AF faster than the already excellent EM1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up8K_xd_iwU

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I watched it and thought the tests unconvincing to say the least. The E-M1's single point S-AF is incredibly fast and accurate, I use it most of the time..

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Real Name
Nic
I don't know about this particular combination, but there are numerous examples of Olympus bodies not being able to focus Panasonic lenses quite as effectively as a Panasonic body can.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't know about this particular combination, but there are numerous examples of Olympus bodies not being able to focus Panasonic lenses quite as effectively as a Panasonic body can.

good point, I'm sure the new Panasonic DFD technology helps with the 35-100mm focusing.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I watched it and thought the tests unconvincing to say the least. The E-M1's single point S-AF is incredibly fast and accurate, I use it most of the time..

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Why is this result surprising? Not only are the GH4 and A6000 very recent cameras (with the very latest tech), but the GH4 has the DFD database and the A6000 has Sonys latest hybrid PDAF/CDAF focusing. And he didn't say it was slow, he just said it was third. Sounds like there might be a bit of confirmation bias creeping in if you feel that your favorite year old camera MUST be #1.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I didn't say it was surprising, I said the test was unconvincing.
For example testing it using a Panasonic lens was a strange thing to do. It was hardly a scientific test. I don't think you can learn much from it at all.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
I need to make more friends in my local city who are into m43 gear so I can borrow a GH4 to do my own tests! :smile:

I didn't say it was surprising, I said the test was unconvincing.
For example testing it using a Panasonic lens was a strange thing to do. It was hardly a scientific test. I don't think you can learn much from it at all.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I do agree that if you're going to do comparisons of any sort between camera brands, then you should be testing them with their own lenses. While Olympus/Panasonic lenses are compatible, that doesn't mean that they will perform exactly the same way on each other's body.

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
I just wish Olympus would get their act together and release the 40-150mm already as I'm sure that lens would be optimized on EM1

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
These "match-ups" remind me of those articles in automobile magazines where they compare $100K+ USD cars. "The $110K ABC brakes faster in second gear in the rain than does the $125K XYZ!" The implication is that one product is less capable than another, but people sometimes forget that they are comparing very high end equipment where the differences are often minimal, and in many case, the equipment outperforms many users capabilities. Nobody in this video said that any of these cameras were not reasonably capable. I hope nobody is having any sleepless nights because of this.

--Ken

m43man

Mu-43 Veteran
I really want to make my own videos to incorporate this point and overall a more balanced comparisons but unfortunately I am not photogenic and handsome like that Chris guy so probably nobody wanna watch it. :tongue:

These "match-ups" remind me of those articles in automobile magazines where they compare $100K+ USD cars. "The $110K ABC brakes faster in second gear in the rain than does the $125K XYZ!" The implication is that one product is less capable than another, but people sometimes forget that they are comparing very high end equipment where the differences are often minimal, and in many case, the equipment outperforms many users capabilities. Nobody in this video said that any of these cameras were not reasonably capable. I hope nobody is having any sleepless nights because of this.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I really want to make my own videos to incorporate this point and overall a more balanced comparisons but unfortunately I am not photogenic and handsome like that Chris guy so probably nobody wanna watch it. :tongue:

Well, Kai at Digital Rev is not exactly Cary Grant, so you may have a shot!

--Ken

DWS

Mu-43 Regular

--Ken
Spot on, Ken....

Latest threads

Top Bottom