1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 Shutter Count Accuracy

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by acnomad, Mar 15, 2016.

1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    After my first weekend shooting with a "new-to-me" refurbished EM1, I got curious and decided to check the shutter count. It was only 603. Since I have released the shutter 548 times (according to the index numbers), that implies that I received the camera with only 55 shutter activations, which leads me to wonder - is there some top secret way that a repair facility (that's who I bought it from) can zero out the shutter count, or is it as incorruptible as the odometer in a car?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There probably is - e.g. for if they've replaced the shutter.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If they can read a register, then they can erase it too.

If you mess up the sequence in the shutter count button dance, you might find yourself staring at a strange screen. I have, and I immediately shut off the camera before I did something dumb.

However, I doubt that they reset a refurb. I had the shutter replaced on an EPM1, and they left the shutter count unchanged.

4. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    In case anyone is interested:

When Olympus replaces the main board in an EM1 the shutter count is reset to zero. I spoke with the seller/refurbisher of the EM1 that I bought, who stated that they originally took the camera in as a warranty repair, then ended up sending it to Olympus for replacement of the main board.

5. drjs

drjs Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2014
    This question has been hashed back and forth a few times. The conventional wisdom seem to be Olympus don't reset the shutter count unless it changes the shutter or the mainboard. My E-M10 came with about 300 clicks. The entire camera looks absolutely new with no sign of use. I think they are probably selling overstocks as refurbished. Olymus certainly have ability to rezero counters but the question we should ask is why they want to do that. Just for the happiness of the buyers? We are already buying a refurbished product, shouldn't we expect some clicks on a refurb?