em1 / SCP on LCD, shooting on EVF?

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
Evf/LCD switching is on manual, so I can use EVF (95% of time)

Every time I activate SCP, it displays on LCD.

Recently, when I activate SCP, it displays on EVF....

In one of Olympus' great mysteries, I can't figure how to revert the setting. Help?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Switch to the LCD. Bring up the SCP.
Switch to EVF, remove SCP (pressing Info button)

Did that fix it?

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
How are you activating SCF when in EVF mode?
How are you activating SCP when in LCD mode?
Are you saying that when you activate SCP in EVF mode you expect the mode to change automatically to LCD mode?

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
How are you activating SCF when in EVF mode?
How are you activating SCP when in LCD mode?
Are you saying that when you activate SCP in EVF mode you expect the mode to change automatically to LCD mode?

when you press Menu button, the menu comes up on LCD no matter whether LCD or EVF is used for shooting view

for me, SCP used to behave this exact same way too. (Menu still does....)....

except it doesnt anymore

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
My E-M1 (and E-M5) behaves exactly as yours - the SCP will be presented on the same screen you're currently using for live view. AFAIK, that's how it's always worked and there's no option to change it. I agree that it would be nice to have the SCP always display on the rear screen, but it's not an option (unless someone can correct me!).

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My guess is that you remember how it worked before you turned off the automatic EVF/LCD switching.
It has never automatically appeared on the LCD when the EVF was on.

strumstrum

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Dave
My E-M1 (and E-M5) behaves exactly as yours - the SCP will be presented on the same screen you're currently using for live view. AFAIK, that's how it's always worked and there's no option to change it. I agree that it would be nice to have the SCP always display on the rear screen, but it's not an option (unless someone can correct me!).

wonder what setting we have that is different then? I never get SCP in VF on the EM5, I only get it on the rear screen and that is only when I have rear screen off, if I have liveview on I will get no SCP

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
wonder what setting we have that is different then? I never get SCP in VF on the EM5, I only get it on the rear screen and that is only when I have rear screen off, if I have liveview on I will get no SCP

Hmm - interesting. Do you have EVF auto-switching on? I'm sort of with Growltiger here:

My guess is that you remember how it worked before you turned off the automatic EVF/LCD switching.
It has never automatically appeared on the LCD when the EVF was on.

I think once you have EVF 'On' (and not auto-switch), then the SCP will always come up on the same screen you're using for composition (i.e. the EVF if that's what you're looking at!).

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
I think once you have EVF 'On' (and not auto-switch), then the SCP will always come up on the same screen you're using for composition (i.e. the EVF if that's what you're looking at!).
ive actually never had the SCP on EVF before this... in my lifetime with the EM1 (&EM5):

from factory: SCP off
enable SCP: SCP always on LCD (&touch-screen enabled!)

only recently, on the EM1, has it followed the shooting view. i have NOT messed with setting, done a hard boot or reset, or modified the firmware

RKTodd

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Randall Todd
Wish there was a solution to this also. I hate having to switch from EVF to LCD to make changes in the SCP. I shoot primarily with the EVF, but like to make setting changes on the back screen.

strumstrum

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Dave
Hmm - interesting. Do you have EVF auto-switching on? I'm sort of with Growltiger here:

yep auto switching.

I am trying to trace my steps to how I set it up like this... SCP on, touchscreen off, press button on the side of VF so rear screen goes off, the info button cycles the rear screen between SCP>Gyroscope>OFF, and the OK button cycles between SCP>flash options>OFF

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wish there was a solution to this also. I hate having to switch from EVF to LCD to make changes in the SCP. I shoot primarily with the EVF, but like to make setting changes on the back screen.

I'm not sure I understand the problem.
You want to use the LCD for the SCP but you say you don't want to switch to using the LCD?
Is the issue that you don't want to have auto switching on, but you do want it to autoswitch when you call up the SCP?
Some people would want to use the SCP in the EVF.

Perhaps you want an option "SCP never uses EVF?"

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm not sure I understand the problem.
You want to use the LCD for the SCP but you say you don't want to switch to using the LCD?
Is the issue that you don't want to have auto switching on, but you do want it to autoswitch when you call up the SCP?
Some people would want to use the SCP in the EVF.

Perhaps you want an option "SCP never uses EVF?"

It just follows the logic of using the Menu or Review/Playback on the LCD. There are more information on these modes which is better consumed on the larger display
Both Menu and Playback/Review default to display on LCD. SCP should do the same. [and it did, previously, somehow....]

We don't want auto-switching. When shooting with LCD is desired, it can be triggered manually.

Just think of the experience as shooting on DSLR.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK, I understand.
I simply leave auto-switching on so it doesn't affect me.
I'll be interested to hear if anyone can make their camera do what you describe.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You say Playback defaults to the LCD. Not for me, with auto switching on. If my eye is at the viewfinder I can instantly review my photos in the EVF. This is invaluable in bright light.

If auto switching is off, you can't review in the viewfinder except by first seeing it on the LCD and then toggling back to the viewfinder. This alone rules out me using auto-switching as this is far too slow and inconvenient.

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
You say Playback defaults to the LCD. Not for me, with auto switching on. If my eye is at the viewfinder I can instantly review my photos in the EVF. This is invaluable in bright light.

If auto switching is off, you can't review in the viewfinder except by first seeing it on the LCD and then toggling back to the viewfinder. This alone rules out me using auto-switching as this is far too slow and inconvenient.

thats our difference, i dont use auto-switching :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom