1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

em1: quick switching of face detection

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by geesbert, Jul 12, 2014.

1. geesbert

geesbert Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    I never thought I would use something like face detection, but it really seems to work on the EM-1. Most of the time, though.

Is there a way to set face detection on/off to a button? Preferably the lever switch?

I know of the quick menue option, but often that requires a couple of presses, I'd like somethig quicker...

2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I think you can only change this with the SCP or pressing INFO+arrows while in the AF area selection mode.

3. jjinh

jjinh Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Not sure if you can set it to a button, but you could use Mysets. Make one with all your regular settings plus face detect. Make Myset one of your buttons.

For me I just go to SCP then touch the face detect icon, move the control dial around then touch the shutter release button. Might not be the fastest way but it only takes me a couple of seconds.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Mysets are a great features for this sort of switching. I've got a myset programmed for general/landscape use with back button focus, no face detect, single shot etc and another set for people shots with focus on shutter half press, face detect, slow continuous etc. I've assigned the first to the A position on the mode dial (l'A'ndscape) and the other to the P position ('P'eople). It takes a second or less to swap between them.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The problem with mysets is that they store shutter speed/aperture/iso/exp comp. settings too. So if you need to switch back and forth everytime you have to set these again and again :(
    I mean something like: one picture with eye detect, next one without, than let's try again eye detect, ecc. all in the same session.

6. Splitprism

Splitprism Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2013
    Angra, Brazil
    If you haven't re-programmed the Function 1 button, press funcion 1 then the Info button, the face detection icon appears in bottom left corner and can be scrolled through using the front dial wheel, the rear dial controls the focus box size.

Works on mine.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another option is to use the lever. Set it to mode 5 and then arrange that when the lever is down it turns on face detect. Just tried it on mine and it works a treat.