EM1 MySet confusion

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by stillwatergal, Jan 17, 2016.

1. stillwatergal

stillwatergal Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    I thought I had MySets figured out but I'm completely confused by one thing.

I have MySet 1, which I want to use for general photography, assigned to iAuto. In my settings for MySet 1 I've assigned auto focus to AEL/AFL and then assigned AEL/AFL to Fn1 so that back button focus ends up on Fn1. So far, so good.

For MySet 2, which I want to use for landscape photos or tripod photos, the MySet is assigned to ART. Here I want to assign the auto focus to the shutter button (no back button focus) and
    assign ISO to Fn1.

All my settings show up correctly on the SCP for each MySet except Fn1. If I set it and save it for MySet2 as ISO, ISO shows up as the setting for Fn1 when I switch my mode dial to iAuto. Conversely, when I set MySet 1 to have Fn1 be AEL/AFL that carries over to MySet 2.

I'm pretty sure I must be doing something wrong but I can't seem to figure it out. I hope I'm clearly describing what's going on. Can someone walk me through what I need to do here?

Thanks!
    Stephanie

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Are you sure you can store button assignments in a MySet? I don't think you can, I think they operate at a global level.
    Wouldn't that be incredibly confusing anyway if they could?
    Remember that a button can be used to load a MySet, so if this feature existed you could have a MySet where pressing a button loaded a different MySet and pressing it again loaded a third MySet. And it could get even more complicated!

3. stillwatergal

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    I think you've answered it... Now to find a work around...

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    You can re-assign function buttons with MySets. But there is a little bug around.
    If you activate a different MySet from the menu everything works fine. If you activate it with the Mode dial almost always the function buttons are not reassigned. I was able only once, during testing, to do a full switch.

I wrote to Olympus about this, they confirmed the issue. They told me "This only seems to appear when MySet's are saved on a mixture of button and dial." It wasn't my case BTW.

Sadly this made the whole MySet dial thing almost useless for me :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. stillwatergal

Jun 10, 2015
    Sedona, AZ
    Stephanie
    My memory is that that is exactly what happened to me. I set it up (buttons and dials) and it worked but when I went to use it another day the function button was reassigned. I have figured out a somewhat awkward workaround since my initial note but I find the behavior of the MySets very confusing. I believe my workaround should make it all work out but it's certainly not my first choice.

Thanks for verifying that I'm not really going nuts :rolleyes-38:

6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If you assign the myset to a button instead of a dial, do you still have this issue?

7. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015