EM1 MkIII and 12-100mm Peak Design Sling 3L or 6L?

httivals

New to Mu-43
Hi - I have an EM1 Mk III and will be using it 100%+ of the time with the 12-100mm f4, and will be carrying only an extra battery, no other accessories. I use a Peak Design lite strap. . . . I love Peak Design products, so I'm thinking of getting either the Peak Design Sling 3L or 6L.

Does anyone have any experience with this set up and either of the Peak Design Sling 3l or 6L? I'm leaning toward the Sling 3L, but still hesitating . . . Guess I'll need to remove the divided and lay the camera on its side to fit it in. Will it be easy to pull in and out with this setup? Will the 3L feel too small?

I use this camera and lens for my weekly 2 hour + walks/runs with my dog on the beach. He's off leash and we mostly walk, run, explore, hike at a nearby beach.

Thanks in advance for your experiences/suggestions! Howard

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
PD addict here too. :blush:

If you are genuinely looking for something to carry just the camera and lens the 3L will be more than big enough. There’s no need to remove the divider but the camera does need to be laid on its side. Very easy to pull out and replace when done. You can even put the capture clip on the side and use the bag kind of like a strap with storage. Highly recommended.

By the way, I also have a 6L (told you I was addicted) and the larger size does allow you to put the camera vertical and add a couple of additional lenses or other such stuff. But in most situations the 3L is plenty.

3L (cosy :thumbsup:)
A084FB4C-FD56-4DE7-A87C-4BE4FCF8868A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6L (kinda lost in there on it’s own :frown: )
77A0408E-820C-4878-AC01-154EB417B1EE.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Let me know if you would like any other pictures.

Last edited:

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I had the older version 5L and found it a little small. I like to keep sunglasses in my bag and found the E-M1.2 and either the 40-150 f2.8 or 12-100 to be a snug fit. I'm guilty of grabbing something in a store and shoving it into my sling. The 6L would have worked but didn't exist yet.
I bought a 10L and find it's really flexible. I can carry my camera, spare battery, 12-100 and sunglasses and still have that extra capacity for a bag of almonds from the bulk aisle or odds and ends from the pharmacy.

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I think these bags are pretty fantastic. I have the 5L version and I managed to squeeze (only just) an EM1.2, 12-100 Pro, 40-150 Pro, MC-14 and Spare Battery into it. And really pushing it a bit, I could get a Surface Go into the inside sleeve pocket (without the keyboard). I was thinking about the 6L, but then I also have the 100-400 now I probably won't go that way.

Zapp DJR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Darek
Hi - I have an EM1 Mk III and will be using it 100%+ of the time with the 12-100mm f4, and will be carrying only an extra battery, no other accessories. ...

For the same setup and walkaround I use Think Tank Holster 20.
When not carrying more then camera with 12-100 attached (+battery) this works for me the best. Easy to pull out and in.
You can attach it to belt (never tried). It "pops down", so even 40-150 + MC20 can be used when needed (although the lens end protection is weaker then).
Don't have PD Sling, but for a simple and minimal set it works better than my Think Tank Turnstyle 10 (used when more stuff needed).

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For the same setup and walkaround I use Think Tank Holster 20.
When not carrying more then camera with 12-100 attached (+battery) this works for me the best. Easy to pull out and in.
You can attach it to belt (never tried). It "pops down", so even 40-150 + MC20 can be used when needed (although the lens end protection is weaker then).
Don't have PD Sling, but for a simple and minimal set it works better than my Think Tank Turnstyle 10 (used when more stuff needed).
This is what I use as well. I find that if you have a "L" bracket on the camera does not sink into the bag as much so the 40-150 pro has space under the end of the lens.
The setup is just to big for the Tank Holster 10. The original EM1 fitted into the 10

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have an EM1 Mk III and will be using it 100%+ of the time with the 12-100mm f4, and will be carrying only an extra battery, no other accessories.

I question why you need a bag at all. I love my PD Leash strap because it is long enough to wear my camera messenger bag style. Easy to swivel the camera around towards my back when not actively shooting. If you only are going to carry only an extra battery, you could just put that in your pocket and carry the camera like you would, and instead of, the bag. That is how I do it for shorter outings like that with my E-M1.1 +12-100 PRO.

Of course if you simply like the idea of the bag for protection (both against knocks and to not display your camera for all to see) I am betting the 3L will be fine as @comment23 demonstrated above.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom