EM1 MkI CAF Tracking

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I’ve had my EM1 for a while now. I just got my 75-300 II lens. I also have a 40-150R. I shot some rodeos this summer with the 40-150 which came out well, using CAF Tracking.

I’ve been trying to use the same settings for shooting birds and moving objects with the 75-300. I’ve noticed that the tracking square locks onto the subject at first, then it will jump off it for no apparent reason. I never noticed this with the 40-150, but that may be because the target was much larger: horse/rider vs bird.

Is this normal for CAF Tracking on my EM1?

Yes, completely normal. Your best bet is to use normal CAF with something like the 9 box area target. Turn on release priority, short release lag time, continuous high drive, I think I used caf lock normal most times.

Edit - remembered that high drive offers CAF

Last edited:

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yes, completely normal. Your best bet is to use normal CAF with something like the 9 box area target. Turn on release priority, short release lag time, continuous high drive, I think I used caf lock normal most times.

Edit - remembered that high drive offers CAF
Thanks!!

Hopefully you have updated to FW 4.0 +. I think FW 3.0 was the big one for focus improvement and added CAF to the higher drive modes (it's been a long time since looked at those versions). You'll want to keep the bird or target inside the phase detect AF point zone. It's not every point that you can choose. It's a cluster of 37 points in the center (shown below by the 4/3 focus group). When shooting in CAF you'll notice a faint outline of this show up in the viewfinder as you hold the shutter release down. If you're outside of this it falls back to contrast detect and you won't have a good result.

1632341731767.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

guzziknight

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hopefully you have updated to FW 4.0 +. I think FW 3.0 was the big one for focus improvement and added CAF to the higher drive modes (it's been a long time since looked at those versions). You'll want to keep the bird or target inside the phase detect AF point zone. It's not every point that you can choose. It's a cluster of 37 points in the center (shown below by the 4/3 focus group). When shooting in CAF you'll notice a faint outline of this show up in the viewfinder as you hold the shutter release down. If you're outside of this it falls back to contrast detect and you won't have a good result.

View attachment 908973
All of my cameras and lenses are updated.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom