EM1 MK3 mimic "sports scene" from EM1 MK1?

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hey All - I super stoked to have just ordered a new EM1 MK3. I've been using the MK1 for about 6 years and I use "sports" mode to take pics of mountain biking or my crazy dogs. When I tried out the EM1 6 months ago in a store I noticed it did not have scenes, or maybe I just couldn't find them. Does anyone know how I'd duplicate that scene on the MK3?

Thanks!
-Joe

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got my EM1 MK3 and I tried C-AF and Pro capture low. So far the results are pretty bad ~ 5% in focus on a moving dog using the 12-40 PRO or 25 PRO. I'll try the C-AF center focus area and sequential low , maybe C-AF tracking.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While you are trying to figure out the AF, don't use Pro-Capture.
Figure out the problem as basic as you can.

What AF points are you using? single, 5, 9=3x3, etc ?
Are you able to HOLD the AF point/area on the dog?
What kind of fur color does the dog have, I hope not solid black?

Hey All - I super stoked to have just ordered a new EM1 MK3. I've been using the MK1 for about 6 years and I use "sports" mode to take pics of mountain biking or my crazy dogs. When I tried out the EM1 6 months ago in a store I noticed it did not have scenes, or maybe I just couldn't find them. Does anyone know how I'd duplicate that scene on the MK3?

Thanks!
-Joe

I have to ask. Do you understand what Pro Capture does?

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have to ask. Do you understand what Pro Capture does?
If I understand pro capture correctly it takes a rolling 30* photos using the electronic shutter at up to 18 FPS in Low with continuous focussing in low mode.

In Pro Capture High there it uses single AF at the start of the shutter press.

What is your understanding?

-Joe

*User defined.

If I understand pro capture correctly it takes a rolling 30* photos using the electronic shutter at up to 18 FPS in Low with continuous focussing in low mode.

In Pro Capture High there it uses single AF at the start of the shutter press.

What is your understanding?

-Joe

*User defined.

Yes but what were you using it for? It’s designed to bypass human reaction lag, like catching a batter swinging. You 1/2 press and it starts the rolling frames and when you full press the shutter it dumps the images to the card and keeps shooting Live Photo’s until you let up on the button. Not sure why you were using it to test auto focus of the camera.

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes but what were you using it for? It’s designed to bypass human reaction lag, like catching a batter swinging. You 1/2 press and it starts the rolling frames and when you full press the shutter it dumps the images to the card and keeps shooting Live Photo’s until you let up on the button. Not sure why you were using it to test auto focus of the camera.
Not sure how you read I was testing AF of the camera. I’m trying to take pics of my pups who move quickly. As the original post mentioned, I am trying to duplicate the functionality of the sports scene mode from the original E-M1. If you have info related to that I am all ears.

cheers,
-Joe

Indianpeaksjoe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While you are trying to figure out the AF, don't use Pro-Capture.
Figure out the problem as basic as you can.

What AF points are you using? single, 5, 9=3x3, etc ?
Are you able to HOLD the AF point/area on the dog?
What kind of fur color does the dog have, I hope not solid black?
I was using 5x5, but 3x3 is much better. i have a whole pack of pups in an array of colors. Turning off tracking helps too.

Thanks!
Joe

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Not sure how you read I was testing AF of the camera. I’m trying to take pics of my pups who move quickly. As the original post mentioned, I am trying to duplicate the functionality of the sports scene mode from the original E-M1. If you have info related to that I am all ears.

cheers,
-Joe

Well you did say
I got my EM1 MK3 and I tried C-AF and Pro capture low. So far the results are pretty bad ~ 5% in focus on a moving dog​
To me, that sounds like you are trying to figure out your AF.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was using 5x5, but 3x3 is much better. i have a whole pack of pups in an array of colors. Turning off tracking helps too.

Thanks!
Joe

I need to go read about how the Olympus area modes works.
Nikon and Canon are different, and I keep forgetting if Olympus behaves like Nikon or Canon.
For what and how I shoot, I prefer the Nikon D9 mode to the Canon area mode.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom