1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 Mk2 Will be on sale in October 2016 !

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Robstar1963, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I visited the LCE (London Camera Exchange) PRO CAMERA Show this morning in Southamton (UK)
    Both Olympus and Panasonic had stands and I had a chat with the reps from both camps to see if I could glean any news on upcoming models !
    Lo and behold - Speaking to one of the Olympus Reps I was told that the EM1 Mk2 is definitely going to be launched at Photokina and will be on sale in October 2016
    The new camera is said to be vastly (and this was reiterated) improved compared to the EM1
    Several aspects of performance will be much improved including video which ' may' include 4K ?
    What will definately be improved is the ability of the new camera to be used for sports photography
    Olympus are said to be trying to further penetrate the PRO market and improving performance for sports photography is seen as an important goal to achieve increased PRO level recognition, sales and use
    I mentioned that I enjoy motorsports photography and was told that the Mk2 would DEFINATELY be much improved for that type of fast moving capture
    The rep advised that Olympus were going to put a lot of effort into a much bigger launch of the EM1 Mk2 and staff were already working on and towards the launch

With regard to 4K or no 4K on the new model I was told that there were hidden barriers to adopting this technology as Panasonic and other companies held 'rights' to some aspects to the technology involved and were more able to implement 4K at reasonable cost compared to what Olympus would have to pay in order to use it
    It wasn't clear whether 4K would be included but it certainly wasn't ruled out
    If true this perhaps explains (at least partly) why Olympus has been slow to adopt the technology

With regard to the pricing of the new model I was told that despite the newer version being a huge improvement over the Mk1 there was no intention to increase the price significantly over the price of the EM1 - I would expect this to be with regard to pricing at launch - the EM1 being approximately £1300.00 (UK) at launch if I remember correctly.
    Obviously much of this should be taken with a pinch of salt but from what was being said I think we can definately expect sales to commence before the end of the year and a launch at Photokina
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    It would be terrific if the conversation proves accurate. Love the E-M1 but it simply is not usable, reliably, in sports and with other subjects with high degrees of movement. In addition to the greatly improved continuous AF it would make the Mk II a "Pro" body if they would add an additional slot for two cards; reduce noise at least 1/2 stop; and increase file size so that some cropping would still result in file sizes that can print on 16x20 paper. Anyway, my wish list....I'm sure others have their list.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I only have 3 wishes. Improve the C-AF and tracking, fix the crappy long exposure noise issue, and reduce rolling shutter/jello for better 1080p.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That sounds promising. With 4K I will be pre-ordering one.

5. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    4K would be nice. But 120fps at 1080 or 4K would be better. Improved C-AF is a necessity. Focus trapping would be nice, hand-held hi-res..it's a long list. Most doable. Anxiously awaiting the specs. Fingers crossed.

D500 is calling....help me resist, help me resist!!!

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Thanks for posting by the way. It's good to hear something.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    So the good news to me is that if what the rep said is true, then the E-M1 mkII will indeed continue to feature Phase Detect AF and hopefully it will be a much improved version starting with cross type PDAF sensors areas rather than the current linear ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is great news!

10. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    next time, for the love of pete, pause the man before he gets started and begin recording on your phone or camera!

thanks for posting this totally unverifiable rumor! ;)

(ps, Olympus stock was up 2% today, I bet you're not the only who spoke to someone from the company)

11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I for one am awaiting the Mk ii lunch with impatience and will probably order one early if it meets some of my expectations. For me improved AF is not high on my list, but a handheld Hi Res mode and/or improved noise handling will be. Anyhow, happy to hear some rumours even if they are unverified - something to keep us chattering classes doing what we're best at!

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    2 card slots, better high ISO and C-AF ..... not too much to ask :) oh ... same battery pack and batteries too please ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm about 99% certain that it's going to come with the 20MP sensor. So don't hold your breath on vast IQ or noise improvements.

The Olympus rep would be a failure if he didn't overstate the "vast" improvement for the Mk II, but look at the last two mkII upgrades and the Pen F.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I guess we'll need to wait until late summer (northern hemisphere) before we know much more. I'm expecting the 20Mp sensor too, but there are rumours of Olympus using some fancy MEMS (Micro Electronic Mechanical System) technology to deliver fast hi-res mode which just my give us a 50Mp 8-exposure stitched raw file shot in around 1/60 sec. That should deliver much improved noise as well as higher res. 1/60s will be good enough for us landscape/cityscape shooters.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What they really need to do for the pseudo RAW features like Live Composite and High Res is improved processing algorithms and optional access to the individual RAW frames, just like the Focus Stacking feature. That way if it doesn't work out well in camera we can patch it up in post with more advanced software.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, it sounds like Pentax has been putting a fair bit of work into their multi-shot mode algorithms, and supposedly the K-1 will be able to automatically fix areas that have motion artifacts by using small portions of the individual images. That sounds like the best way to do it, to me. If they could bake that into the single "RAW" file that gets generate, that would be even better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Not sure I understand the obsession with 2 card slots. I'd rather that they keep the body small.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    So prices of used em1's will drop.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2016
    Bag the 4k or any video for that matter. Reduced noise and better AF for stills is what I'd like to see.

20. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    If you don't shoot professionally, or at least unrepeatable occasions then maybe you really don't need it ;) Please continue to buy the small bodies (e.g. EM10). Personally I want dual cards. I've had them for years on DSLRs and it's always at the back of my mind that the card could corrupt following an unrepeatable moment.

• Agree Agree x 3