EM1 MK2 - Hand-Held Starlight Scene Mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BradS, Apr 15, 2017.

1. BradS

BradS Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Newcastle NSW
    Hi,

I have heard the EM2 MK2 has a Hand-Held Starlight Scene Mode.

Can someone please explain this mode and maybe some example photos?

Happy Easter

Regards,

Brad

2. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Since its an art filter, I assume it applies starbursts to things.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The E-M1 II doesn't have an Art setting relating to stars of any type.
    The OP wants to photograph real stars.

4. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    There is an art setting called star light or something like that. Which is what I was referring to.

5. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I promise you there isn't.

6. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I read it out of the manual. And like I said earlier, it probably just puts starbursts on everything.

7. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Perhaps you are thinking of a different camera. Page 33 of the manual lists all the art filters and the word "star" does not appear.

8. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I solved the puzzle. It isn't an Art filter, it is an art effect you can add to any of the filters.
    I apologise for questioning your information.

But it still doesn't help the OP who wants to photograph real stars, at night.

9. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    From what I gather from trying to find out what this mode does (it's been available on previous Olympus models), I think it takes something like 5 frames when you press the shutter button and works out on which frame you were the most steady and keeps that one as it should be the sharpest. Without realising it we tend to add extra movement to the camera body when pressing and releasing the shutter button, which would have a detrimental effect on a handheld image with a shutter speed slow enough for capturing star light.
    You could obviously do this yourself with using sequential shooting, but then you would have every image taking up space on the memory card and would need to look through each image to find the sharpest and manually delete the worst of the set.

10. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    There a good chance I'm remembering this wrong through, so please correct me if I am.

11. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Actually, I just found this page: https://sites.google.com/site/olycameras/home/scene-modes/hand-held-starlight-scene-mode

Which states the following:
    In [Hand-Held Starlight], 8 frames are shot at one time and then combined. When the image quality mode is [RAW], a JPEG image is combined with the first RAW image and recorded in RAW+JPEG.

And this page on the E-M1 and decribes the scene modes: Olympus E-M1 Review

Hand-held Starlight mode rapidly fires eight sequential shots and merges them into one image to minimize noise during tricky nighttime or high ISO conditions.

12. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    The original EM1 had a Hand-Held Starlight mode, where it would take a burst of low-light images at medium ISO, rather than a single image at high ISO, to reduce noise. The new EM1 MkII does not have this mode.

13. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Ah, ok - I don't have one myself so wouldn't know. I assume the original poster meant the E-M1 MkII when he said EM2 Mk2 (unless he meant the E-M5 Mk2 ?)

14. BradS

BradS Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Newcastle NSW
    Hi all,
    Thanks for responding. Sorry for the confusion, I meant EM1 MK2.
    Asked the question as I read reference to this star mode with reference to the EM1 MK2 but it seems it was incorrect. Only new to this camera and lots of hidden bits and pieces so I thought I would as the question.
    Thanks again