EM1 Mk2 Firmware Update on M1 Mac Mini

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
That's not true. Rosetta II is a bridge from Intel to M1 and is making it easier for non-M1 chipset apps to run. Some really low-level stuff isn't there because it's easier to show third party software companies how to change their tools. It's a tiny change and Olympus could probably make it happen in a day.

None of this would have been an issue if Intel actually fixed the problems and security flaws their chipsets had. Even Windows 10 has to down-regulate to prevent certain bugs from occurring.

Go ahead and edit a Wordstar '79 file in Notepad... Go ahead. Also, while you're at it try and get my USB Hauppauge MPEG Video encoder to work. It stopped working after Windows XP SP3 - Still works with my Mac.
And what happened to Apple's much vaunted "Office killer" suite? Oh dear ...

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
And what happened to Apple's much vaunted "Office killer" suite? Oh dear ...

Lots of people used them because they were essentially free.
I personally didn't. I've been with OpenOffice since the day it was released. We occasionally get documents from others which have some weird proprietary encryption from the latest Microsoft Cloud'based Office platform, but OO will handle everything else.

The only people who said it was an "Office Killer" were bloggers on the mac fanboy websites. Those of us who work in multiple platforms just kinda shrugged and moved on.

Besides, what does this have to do with the fact that Olympus isn't updating their software? At this time, virtually every other third-party hardware dev has begun or completed work on getting their software to work on the M1 platform... Olympus - well, they're still trying to figure out how to decode RAW file changes in under 20 seconds.

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
There are USB-C charging cables and USB-C data cables. Find your original cable or buy a proper one.
The cable shows data to Windows, meaning I can use the camera as a storage device or anything else. So it works fine that way. But obviously it's different when it comes to Olympus Workspace.

Oh, and I bought the camera used. Didn't include the OEM cable. Now that I've figured out the SD card method for updating the camera, I'm fine. I can update lenses on my Pen.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Actually, Apple machines are indeed based on industry standards. Olympus software is based on 20 year old industry standards. Have you already forgotten how quickly Windows 10 obsoleted a whole generation of computers just because they could?

To be fair, the entire Olympus software ecosystem is YEARS behind anything from any of the other photo editors. Who actually thinks that in 2020, making a small change to an image warranted a 15 second "draw" time to apply it?

I hope Olympus is working on it. In the meantime, you can run the OI.Share smartphone app and update wirelessly through it.
Possibly you have forgotten that Olympus is out of the camera business as of Jan 1, 2021. They will not be making any updates to software for their legacy cameras, so it begins.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Or Apple should refrain from making devices and OSes that do not comply with industry standards ...

Just a thought ... ;) .
It's not Apple's job to keep their technology compatible with old software, it's the job of the software developer's to keep current on the platforms they want to support.

Real Name
Walter
I'm talking about trying to open a document created with the 1990s Apple "office" suite.

Oh John, you're really stuck back there. :)

I used AppleWorks on an Apple //e, and ClarisWorks/AppleWorks on my Mac. Familiar with them. Good software for their time. I wonder if the current suite will open those AppleWorks Mac documents. Haven't tried it. There is such a thing as obsolescence. Try to open a ten year old Word document in the latest version.

This is really OT, but if you want to open old AppleWorks documents, you could use LibreOffice.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8000502

I lost most of my old stuff when I had a couple of hard drive crashes. They're gone anyway.

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
Oh John, you're really stuck back there. :)

Not so, Walter. Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Apple certainly repeat their own history. Program after program left 'dangling'.

I used AppleWorks on an Apple //e, and ClarisWorks/AppleWorks on my Mac. Well familiar with them. Good software for their time. I wonder if the current suite will open those AppleWorks Mac documents. Haven't tried it.

Try it. Please let me know how you get on.

I had occasion to try to open one a few years ago. Nothing, zip, nada. One can buy a commercial program that will open it. A mere USD 2,500, IIRC.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
In semi-related news, Adobe Flash officially died today. Talk about a non-standard that needed to die. Apple contributed to its demise, refusing to adopt it on iOS. Android would let you run Flash, but Flash’s lack of UI standards and resource hogging made it virtually unusable.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Possibly you have forgotten that Olympus is out of the camera business as of Jan 1, 2021. They will not be making any updates to software for their legacy cameras, so it begins.

Based on those LinkedIn profiles I've mentioned in another thread, I don't see anything that indicates their software team is no longer developing or working on the product. A lot of team members have now moved over to the new organization claiming it's the start of "something big" ... I trust those workers more than arm-chair critics and bloggers/vloggers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom