EM1-mk2 at ISO 12800

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Exactly. Which is why I was surprised and happy with the results.

I do have the 40-150/2.8, but it is a bit long on the short end.
I use it for shooting the length of the court. Although the 12-100 can do that almost as well.

I'm planning on asking Santa for the 8-24/4.
That's a special version of the 8-25/4, I take it ... :rofl: .

Rob Trek

Rob Trek on Youtube
I use DXO PhotoLab4 Elite with Deep Prime noise reduction. Here is the EM10-ii at 16,000 ISO. This is a comparison between the exported raw image vs. exported raw with processing. I'm totally amazed. You can watch my video here:
collage16k.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have to look at a few of the other de-noise programs.
The few that I looked at required a graphics co-processor card, for the extra processing needed to de-noise the image.
And graphics cards have been crazy EXPENSIVE.

Just checked DXO Pure RAW noise reduction seems to be ONLY for RAW.
I did not see anything for JPG. :(
I shoot sports in JPG, simply to eliminate the RAW to JPG conversion, and reduce my processing time.

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
It's swings and roundabouts.

I do my best to eliminate every bit of noise I can (and then end up putting some back to take the bands out of the 8 bit conversion lol).

However, I wouldn't want to spend hours editing a netball match unless the pay was good. The noise isn't intrusive. You don't have stadium lighting. There isn't much in the way of bright subject colour. But you do have sharp recognisable pictures.

Personally, I'd take advantage of your two card slots and shoot both raw and jpeg and only edit the best ones for reproduction.

I trialled Pure Raw, bought it, and immediately changed my mind. The results were spectacular but a little too sharp. I got Photolab 4 which with a promo wasn't too much difference in price. Same deep prime processing but more control.

Then there was film. Fuji 1600 or HP5 pushed to 3200. Grain like golf balls on a 6x4 - but no-one complained because your pictures were way better than they had ever got!

EDIT: 17.10.21

DXO listened :)

Latest version of PureRaw has sharpness control.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pay, what pay ???
With all the gear I bought, and the time I spend, I'm paying them for the "privilege" of taking pictures, for the school. :confused:

Yeah, I remember the days of pushing Tri-X to 1200. YUK.

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
DXO unfortunetely requires a RAW file always to use the more advanced noise reduction tools like Prime or Deep Prime, it doesn't work with jpegs at all. However I found, especially on higher ISO settings, it is well worth the effort and I actually like DXO Photolab quite a lot since it doesn't require much time to get a pleasing result - just like you, I also don't really enjoy spending too much time in post processing, but I always found Photolab to be very easy and fast to use. One of the reasons: I can open files directly, no need to import and manage catalogs and sessions or whatever else. Just navigate to the folder and open the file.

They have a fully functional 30-day trial if you are interested, so you might give it a try yourself.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's swings and roundabouts.

I do my best to eliminate every bit of noise I can (and then end up putting some back to take the bands out of the 8 bit conversion lol).

However, I wouldn't want to spend hours editing a netball match unless the pay was good. The noise isn't intrusive. You don't have stadium lighting. There isn't much in the way of bright subject colour. But you do have sharp recognisable pictures.

Personally, I'd take advantage of your two card slots and shoot both raw and jpeg and only edit the best ones for reproduction.

I trialled Pure Raw, bought it, and immediately changed my mind. The results were spectacular but a little too sharp. I got Photolab 4 which with a promo wasn't too much difference in price. Same deep prime processing but more control.

Then there was film. Fuji 1600 or HP5 pushed to 3200. Grain like golf balls on a 6x4 - but no-one complained because your pictures were way better than they had ever got!
Same. I'd rather use fast glass, & lower ISO's. And a bit of flash where I can. That's a marvelous subject noise eliminator. Also, I'm not into shooting black cats in coal mines at midnight :)

NACEOD

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
The few that I looked at required a graphics co-processor card, for the extra processing needed to de-noise the image.
I used DXO PhotoLab 4 Deep Prime for 4 or 5 months using the built-in graphics on a Ryzen 3 CPU. It'd take 40-50 seconds to process an image with Deep Prime de-noise. The time didn't bother me too much cause I have presets for each rink and batch process the 50-100 images from a hockey game.

I also used to only shoot jpeg. Huge step up using RAW and de-noise. I actually spend a lot less time in front of the computer using RAW w/ DXO compared to working with jpegs.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I shot the entire game with the 12-100/4.
Even shooting the length of the gym, where I used the 40-150/2.8. So, I don't need the extra reach of the 40-150/2.8, and that lens can stay at home.

Hey OMDS, how about a 20-80/2 lens? :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom