Em1 MK ii SD card door rattle?

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Mine doesn't rattle, but its operation is less than confidence inspiring. It looks the least well designed aspect of the camera.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unless it rattles I don't see this is a problem, just something cosmetic. Mine isn't perfectly tight but it doesn't rattle.

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
I just got mine, it isn't loose, doesn't rattle, isn't super tight either though. I have no issue with its tightness.

G.Webb

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
G
Went through three exchanges all different degrees of looseness. Maybe they will get it sorted out if enough get returned. Sad for a flagship.

BradS

Mu-43 Regular
Just letting you know that my SD door is all good. Hope those with an issues are able to get it sorted with ease

Ericb

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Eric Batty
I had one with loose door. I took it back and the store exchanged it for a new body and the new one works perfectly.

Moris

Mu-43 Regular
Finally after a fourth swapping, I now have a body with a decent SD-Card door.

Moris

Mu-43 Regular
Exchange has only been completed through the shop with excellent service.
Finally I can get on with EM1.2 :)

Now Online Find The Best Settings For This Camera, but where?

dlhomesolutions

Mu-43 Veteran
Exchange has only been completed through the shop with excellent service.
Finally I can get on with EM1.2 :)

Now Online Find The Best Settings For This Camera, but where?

That's what I am afraid of. I am past exchange period. I hope Olympus will care for it

Jeffp3456

Mu-43 Regular
When I first got the camera the SD door seemed loose and rather cheap all things considered, now it just seems cheap ;-)
I don't know why but the door has tightened up with use and is solid now. I am a bit concerned that there are no gaskets under the door, seems odd on a weather sealed camera, but the good news is that the door no longer rattles!

ThorEgil

Mu-43 Regular
When I first got the camera the SD door seemed loose and rather cheap all things considered, now it just seems cheap ;-)
I don't know why but the door has tightened up with use and is solid now. I am a bit concerned that there are no gaskets under the door, seems odd on a weather sealed camera, but the good news is that the door no longer rattles!

There is a rubber ring sitting on the body, around the card slots. And this seals against the raised edge around the inner part of the door.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
Mine was very loose straight out of the box. Could open it with a gentle flick of a finger. Took it to the local Olympus Service Centre in KL and they fixed it while I waited. Now its great.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The door is in two parts. As you close the door the inner part of door closes over the rubber gasket and seals the card slots. Then the outer part of the door slides over the inner part of the door, holding the inner part in place. A slight looseness of the outer part is just a cosmetic issue.

Richella

The Wandering Scotsman
You may say it is cosmetic but it gives an insecure feeling when you can feel the door moving in the palm of your hand while shooting and it's just not acceptable quality for a camera in this price range.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You may say it is cosmetic but it gives an insecure feeling when you can feel the door moving in the palm of your hand while shooting and it's just not acceptable quality for a camera in this price range.
I don't disagree, perfection is the ideal.
By cosmetic I mean: does not affect the functioning of the camera or its ability to meet its specs such as water resistance.
So scratches, dents, paint coming off, sounds heard by shaking the camera when it is turned off, are all cosmetic.

Marc47

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Marc
Hi everyone,

I've had this "loose SD door" issue from the beginning (Dec 2016), trying to "live with it", though finding it very annoying for a "rock-solid" camera.
As I was considering to finally send my camera for repair to the Olympus center, I just tried a very simple idea to fix it: a tiny piece of gaffer tape at the bottom of the body/door.

And, against all expectations, the door went from loose to very firm in my hand. Problem solved (!!!). Can't imagine I didn't try that before. Below a few (ugly) pictures to show how small it is. The gaffer color I used is very discrete and almost not visible (even though quite visible on the cell phone photo taken with flash...).

Hope it will help a few people to feel better with their (amazing on all other aspects) camera.

Marc

Latest threads

Top Bottom