Em1 MK ii SD card door rattle?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dlhomesolutions, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Anyone dealing with a loose SD card door? If so have you gotten it fixed?

2. Moris

Moris Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2016
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Mine doesn't rattle, but its operation is less than confidence inspiring. It looks the least well designed aspect of the camera.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Unless it rattles I don't see this is a problem, just something cosmetic. Mine isn't perfectly tight but it doesn't rattle.

5. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I just got mine, it isn't loose, doesn't rattle, isn't super tight either though. I have no issue with its tightness.

6. G.Webb

G.Webb Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2015
    G
    Went through three exchanges all different degrees of looseness. Maybe they will get it sorted out if enough get returned. Sad for a flagship.

7. BradS

BradS Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2017
    Newcastle NSW
    Just letting you know that my SD door is all good. Hope those with an issues are able to get it sorted with ease

8. Ericb

Ericb New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2017
    Eric Batty
    I had one with loose door. I took it back and the store exchanged it for a new body and the new one works perfectly.

9. Moris

Moris Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2016
    Finally after a fourth swapping, I now have a body with a decent SD-Card door.

10. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL

Did you mail it in to Olympus? Or exchange from place of purchase?

11. Moris

Moris Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2016
    Exchange has only been completed through the shop with excellent service.
    Finally I can get on with EM1.2 :)

Now Online Find The Best Settings For This Camera, but where?

12. dlhomesolutions

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL

That's what I am afraid of. I am past exchange period. I hope Olympus will care for it

13. Jeffp3456

Jeffp3456 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 2, 2013
    South Florida
    When I first got the camera the SD door seemed loose and rather cheap all things considered, now it just seems cheap ;-)
    I don't know why but the door has tightened up with use and is solid now. I am a bit concerned that there are no gaskets under the door, seems odd on a weather sealed camera, but the good news is that the door no longer rattles!

14. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    There is a rubber ring sitting on the body, around the card slots. And this seals against the raised edge around the inner part of the door.

15. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    Mine was very loose straight out of the box. Could open it with a gentle flick of a finger. Took it to the local Olympus Service Centre in KL and they fixed it while I waited. Now its great.

16. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The door is in two parts. As you close the door the inner part of door closes over the rubber gasket and seals the card slots. Then the outer part of the door slides over the inner part of the door, holding the inner part in place. A slight looseness of the outer part is just a cosmetic issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman Subscribing Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    You may say it is cosmetic but it gives an insecure feeling when you can feel the door moving in the palm of your hand while shooting and it's just not acceptable quality for a camera in this price range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I don't disagree, perfection is the ideal.
    By cosmetic I mean: does not affect the functioning of the camera or its ability to meet its specs such as water resistance.
    So scratches, dents, paint coming off, sounds heard by shaking the camera when it is turned off, are all cosmetic.