EM1 Micro Focus Adjustment - Why and How to Perform

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Focus bug in the user "Adjustable" Self-Timer in the E-M1 Mark II Version 3.0.

Re: The user adjustable Self-Timer with the variable time delay, number of frames taken, interval, and Auto-Focus "ON" or "OFF" settings.

If one has some Auto-Focus Fine Tuning data set in the body, this particular self-timer will ignore the user's auto-focus fine-tuning data if the AF is "ON". If you turn it to OFF it will accept the user's data for the auto-focus correction when shot. Example: If self-timer's AF is ON, no matter if you have a +20 or -20 in the AF Fine Tuning, all images will be exactly alike with no shift in focus (i.e. It ignores any user applied AF tuning info.).

The other self timer's do accept the user's AF tuning data and work as they should. The 12 second self-timer works well.

Discovered this bug when trying to adjust a lens. Although I could see the focus shift in the viewfinder from -20 to +20 on a slanted ruler by pressing down slightly on the shutter button to focus, the final shots all came out on the exact same number (Foreground setting only.) regardless if I had set -20 or +20.

Drove me nuts until I saw the C-AF being Zero ("0") in ALL shots no matter +20 or -20 set with that particular self-timer in FocusTune software.

I finally took some small change, purchased LA version 4 and gave it a spin yesterday.
I took Phocal's workflow and I believe I followed it by the book.

Camera: Oly E-M1X
Lens: Oly 300 f/4.

Oddly enough when I import the values the column for AF Mode shows S-AF. This explains why I had no way to de-focus properly between shots.
I ended up to create 11 lens data sets (from -5 to +5), pick the set and switch into "normal" shooting mode. Single shot, C-AF, Aperture priority at f 4.0, ISO 400.

My lens ended up to be sharpest at -1, so I do not expect a massive image quality difference but maybe it adds that tiny little bit of critical sharpness I'd like to see.
Time will tell.

Cheers.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom