1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 mic inputs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonlong, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    A friend asked me to record an event for him recently and gave me an external mic to use. When looking at the level adjustments on my EM1, I saw there's an option for external and line in, in addition to the built in mic. What's the difference between external and line in? The external mic I was using was plugged into the mic jack and was registering on the "line in" option.

Also, is there any way to monitor audio levels while recording video? I would like to be able to see of it's peaking or too quiet and adjust manually.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's a standard industry term. "Line In" is for devices that generate their own amplification, like something you plug headphones into, or can be a pre-amplified mic.

3. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    But why are there two different input options for both external and line-in? There's only a single mic input. Unless maybe there's a mic that hooks up to the USB or accessory port?

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Nope. The idea is you can use the input connector for EITHER mic OR line-in use, and the menu option lets you attenuate the signal.

5. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Oh I see. So it will pick the correct type of signal based on the input level it detects?