EM1 mic inputs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jonlong, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    A friend asked me to record an event for him recently and gave me an external mic to use. When looking at the level adjustments on my EM1, I saw there's an option for external and line in, in addition to the built in mic. What's the difference between external and line in? The external mic I was using was plugged into the mic jack and was registering on the "line in" option.

Also, is there any way to monitor audio levels while recording video? I would like to be able to see of it's peaking or too quiet and adjust manually.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's a standard industry term. "Line In" is for devices that generate their own amplification, like something you plug headphones into, or can be a pre-amplified mic.

3. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    But why are there two different input options for both external and line-in? There's only a single mic input. Unless maybe there's a mic that hooks up to the USB or accessory port?

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Nope. The idea is you can use the input connector for EITHER mic OR line-in use, and the menu option lets you attenuate the signal.

5. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Oh I see. So it will pick the correct type of signal based on the input level it detects?