EM1 mic inputs

jonlong

Mu-43 Regular
A friend asked me to record an event for him recently and gave me an external mic to use. When looking at the level adjustments on my EM1, I saw there's an option for external and line in, in addition to the built in mic. What's the difference between external and line in? The external mic I was using was plugged into the mic jack and was registering on the "line in" option.

Also, is there any way to monitor audio levels while recording video? I would like to be able to see of it's peaking or too quiet and adjust manually.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's a standard industry term. "Line In" is for devices that generate their own amplification, like something you plug headphones into, or can be a pre-amplified mic.

jonlong

Mu-43 Regular
But why are there two different input options for both external and line-in? There's only a single mic input. Unless maybe there's a mic that hooks up to the USB or accessory port?

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
But why are there two different input options for both external and line-in? There's only a single mic input. Unless maybe there's a mic that hooks up to the USB or accessory port?
Nope. The idea is you can use the input connector for EITHER mic OR line-in use, and the menu option lets you attenuate the signal.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom