Em1 mark iii upgrade worth it?

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Congrats on your new camera!

I'm 5'8 and half.

I'm not sure what is the best way to measure, but if I straighten my hand and measure from the base on my thumb/start of my wrist, the lenght to the end of my index finger is 16,5 cm.
Thanks!
Hard to measure, but mine is just about exactly 16cm. Not too surprising, considering my size. Actually, I have noticed that even a big camera like my Canon 80D can feel OK if it has a well-designed grip. I mean, if it is well-done, it gives you a secure grip but you can still reach the shutter button easily. A marked contrast for me was when I put a Fittest grip on my old E-M10.2. With the grip added, I could not easily press the shutter. (the E-M5.3 version of that grip is MUCH better).

Anyway, this is a unique chance to "brag about" my small size! Go figure!!

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
This thread is the best example that you should never ask "Should I buy ..." on this forum. People here are experts in spending your money! :hiding:

Also: You need to decide for yourself. This forum is also the best place to find answers to your question. But the question you should ask is not: "Should I buy ...". It is, in what respects is xxx better than yxy. Than make up your own mind.

ddown

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys and gals, I’ve been shooting m43 for about three months and I love it! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and carrying heavy gear is a no go for me nowadays.

I’m a bird photographer and I’m shooting with an Em1 mark ii and a Olympus 100-400. I’m still learning and growing coming from Nikon but I’d like to hear opinions on whether the move to an Em1 mark iii is worth it? I’m looking for the cleanest files that can be cropped.

Thanks in advance!
Files from MK II vs III will not be significantly different however features have been expanded

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm 175cm or 5 foot 9, length of my hand is only 17cm too. I wanted body with a small grip so E-M5 III + 12-40mm F2.8 was first choice but in the store I found it not comfortable compared to E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4 so I got that instead. Maybe if there was 12-45mm F4, I would have chose E-M5 III instead.

I noticed many of my E-M1 II photos tilted slightly to the left, never to the right. I'm not sure if it's because my hands too small for the grip or I need to work out more or I am not used to the "SLR" style, but it's probably a bit too much for me. It shows the importance of trying cameras out in the store at least.

I don't really care much about megapixels, but HHHR stills seems like a really cool feature, very underrated. If I didn't already have E-M1 II, I would not mind paying the $800 CAD extra for E-M1 III and HHHR and extra stop of IS. I want UWA and imagine the possibilities of 8mm F1.8 fisheye and defishing with HHHR, for example. Maybe the extra stop of IS would help compensate for my lack of working out too.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
Are we really comparing our physical measurements now? :laugh1: OK - my hand's 17 1/2 cm. 5'10" H. I've gotten along very well with Olympus cameras - first with the PEN Lite, then E-M10, E-M5 II, and now the E-M1 II and III.

@doady, I got very interested when you mentioned that many of your E-M1 II photos tilt to the left. I'm used to getting tilted photos and am getting better at minimizing that. Still, with the Mark II and Mark III, many of mine tilt to the right. Even when I try hard to keep the camera level in my hand and use e-shutter I get a tilt upon shutter activation that is more significant than I can account for. Also, I get the impression that the lens points a bit to the left from center/perpen. It's hard to be sure, and I don't see any anomalies in my photos that suggest the lens mount on all the E-M1 II and III cameras I've tested (four total) are misaligned. (I did have such a problem with the E-M5 II - Olympus replaced the IBIS rather than the mount to fix it.)

I bought an E-M1 III because of a can't-say-no promotion and because of its added features (Starry Sky AF, HHHR, ND filter...). I haven't used these yet. I'm looking forward to doing that at some point, when I have time. On the other hand, I'm sad to say after using two copies of the E-M1 III that I think the E-M1 II has better quality overall. It "feels" better to me. The lens mount is more true in my experience (smooth to operate, even across the surface, snug without being too tight). And there's something not right about the EVF and sensor readout of the E-M1 III in high-contrast but low light situations. My first E-M1 III was defective, producing a ridiculous amount of noise and a washed-out image in both the LCD and EVF. The second seems fine enough, but the EVF still washes out more than I've seen in the E-M1 II.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
. . .
I noticed many of my E-M1 II photos tilted slightly to the left, never to the right. I'm not sure if it's because my hands too small for the grip or I need to work out more or I am not used to the "SLR" style, but it's probably a bit too much for me. It shows the importance of trying cameras out in the store at least.

There could be another reason for this, your eyes.

When used together my eyes sync up.
But when used separately, like one looking through the viewfinder, they desync, and one (or both) rotates slightly.
What happens is,
  • I think as I raise the camera to my eye, I am using my left eye to level the camera.
  • But when the camera is at my eye, while I may think the camera is level, it isn't. When I look at the level indicators in the viewfinder, or at the grid against the scene, I find that I am not holding the camera level.
I noticed this a few years ago, when I noticed a LOT of my images were not level. And like you, the tilt was in the same direction, at about the same angle.

Now, the level indicator is always displayed, and I make an extra effort, to check the level indicators and/or the grid against the scene, to level the camera.

I have no idea when this desync happened nor if it was gradual or sudden.

How do you test this?
Cover one eye for about a minute, so only ONE eye is viewing the scene, the other is resting.
Notice the angle of the horizon or road or anything linear an horizontal.
Then switch the cover to your other eye.
Did you notice a change in angle of the horizon?

BTW, left hand under the camera supporting the camera removes the right hand, from the reason it tilts to the left.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't think it's worth it. What problem are you trying to solve, other than spending money?

The Live ND sounded intriguing to me but I've seen too many images that look awful/fake.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
The Live ND sounded intriguing to me but I've seen too many images that look awful/fake.
Completely disagree with you. Having used it and having spectacular results I can say it’s actually better than shooting with a real ND and tripod.

The problem with a lot of the features and improvements on the em1iii is that they are outside the box and don’t fit into a spec table so reviewers don’t even test the feature and forum goers just automatically dismiss it. And then we end up with boring cameras with better specs

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I look forward to buying the EM1.3 for $800 after the EM1X II comes out...
I know what you mean and kinda agree, but still I'm not so sure. I think they appeal to a different buyer so much that there isn't much crossover, except for the idea that when a new E-M1X comes out, there will surely be an upgraded E-M1 with many of the same features in a smaller body. But considering where we stand now, it's going to be a pretty long time for an upgraded E-M1 to come along, I think.

But driving down the existing E-M1 so much? I can only say that for me the E-M1x is not even on my radar - I would never consider buying a camera that large, esp in m43. So there is no ripple effect (except for an eventual future upgrade, as I said). Interesting idea, however, and hopefully we will actually see what happens in that area soon! :)

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
There could be another reason for this, your eyes.

When used together my eyes sync up.
But when used separately, like one looking through the viewfinder, they desync, and one (or both) rotates slightly.
What happens is,
  • I think as I raise the camera to my eye, I am using my left eye to level the camera.
  • But when the camera is at my eye, while I may think the camera is level, it isn't. When I look at the level indicators in the viewfinder, or at the grid against the scene, I find that I am not holding the camera level.
I noticed this a few years ago, when I noticed a LOT of my images were not level. And like you, the tilt was in the same direction, at about the same angle.

Now, the level indicator is always displayed, and I make an extra effort, to check the level indicators and/or the grid against the scene, to level the camera.

I have no idea when this desync happened nor if it was gradual or sudden.

How do you test this?
Cover one eye for about a minute, so only ONE eye is viewing the scene, the other is resting.
Notice the angle of the horizon or road or anything linear an horizontal.
Then switch the cover to your other eye.
Did you notice a change in angle of the horizon?

BTW, left hand under the camera supporting the camera removes the right hand, from the reason it tilts to the left.

I will have to keep what you say in mind. Coming from a point-and-shoot, I am not used to using a viewfinder or holding the camera with both hands. I thought the weight of the 12-100mm on the left side might be the problem so I have been trying to pay more attention to how I hold my camera with my left hand, and I will have to be mindful also about you say about desynching and levelling when only one eye is open. I have had the grid and level indicator on the screen since the beginning to try to minimize this problem. I thought maybe there might be something wrong with the level indicator, but recently I've been thinking I am the one to blame. Hearing you guys talking about experiencing similar issues gives me some reassurance that there is nothing wrong with my camera.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Are we really comparing our physical measurements now? :laugh1: OK - my hand's 17 1/2 cm. 5'10" H. I've gotten along very well with Olympus cameras - first with the PEN Lite, then E-M10, E-M5 II, and now the E-M1 II and III.
Yes we are as many can't test cameras physically.

Besides it's a common misconception - it's not the length of the camera, but the width and how you use it to get results.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
The camera levels (vertical and horizontal) can be adjusted.

Mount on tripod.
Select UTILITY (?) menu.
Use accurate spirit level to check both horizontal and vertical.
Use set function.

I'm in bed ATM with comfortable cat 😸, so cannot check exact process.

HTH.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I will have to keep what you say in mind. Coming from a point-and-shoot, I am not used to using a viewfinder or holding the camera with both hands. I thought the weight of the 12-100mm on the left side might be the problem so I have been trying to pay more attention to how I hold my camera with my left hand, and I will have to be mindful also about you say about desynching and levelling when only one eye is open. I have had the grid and level indicator on the screen since the beginning to try to minimize this problem. I thought maybe there might be something wrong with the level indicator, but recently I've been thinking I am the one to blame. Hearing you guys talking about experiencing similar issues gives me some reassurance that there is nothing wrong with my camera.

Left hand supports the weight of the camera + lens, and works the zoom ring.
Right hand only fires the shutter.
If you are supporting the weight of the camera with your right hand, you are doing it wrong. Because leverage is working against you.

Test the level.
Look at the horizon, and match the grid with the horizon.​
Then look at the level indicator. Are you level?​
If you think the level is off, you can do a system "reset," which I think will also reset the level.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I look forward to buying the EM1.3 for $800 after the EM1X II comes out...

I know what you mean and kinda agree, but still I'm not so sure. I think they appeal to a different buyer so much that there isn't much crossover, except for the idea that when a new E-M1X comes out, there will surely be an upgraded E-M1 with many of the same features in a smaller body. But considering where we stand now, it's going to be a pretty long time for an upgraded E-M1 to come along, I think.

But driving down the existing E-M1 so much? I can only say that for me the E-M1x is not even on my radar - I would never consider buying a camera that large, esp in m43. So there is no ripple effect (except for an eventual future upgrade, as I said). Interesting idea, however, and hopefully we will actually see what happens in that area soon! :)
Just wanted to add to what I said earlier. I think that the cmaera that COULD drive the price of the E-M1.3 down to $800 almost immediately would be a Panasonic G10 (upgraded G9). Just say 28MPs (even 24?), better viewfinder maybe, HHHR, even the same larger size (but no bigger - getting into E-M1X territory!), it would do it, I think. Just to nail me for getting impatient and splurging on an E-M1.3 now! ;)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
Just wanted to add to what I said earlier. I think that the cmaera that COULD drive the price of the E-M1.3 down to $800 almost immediately would be a Panasonic G10 (upgraded G9). Just say 28MPs (even 24?), better viewfinder maybe, HHHR, even the same larger size (but no bigger - getting into E-M1X territory!), it would do it, I think. Just to nail me for getting impatient and splurging on an E-M1.3 now! ;)
If they can do that AND give C-AF to the level of Olympus E-M1X and you can have my Big Oly :p

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom