Em1 mark iii upgrade worth it?

Hey guys and gals, I’ve been shooting m43 for about three months and I love it! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and carrying heavy gear is a no go for me nowadays.

I’m a bird photographer and I’m shooting with an Em1 mark ii and a Olympus 100-400. I’m still learning and growing coming from Nikon but I’d like to hear opinions on whether the move to an Em1 mark iii is worth it? I’m looking for the cleanest files that can be cropped.

Thanks in advance!

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I doubt there would be much difference in IQ.
The EM1.3 was the new processing engine in camera, hence it can do HHHR, starry night etc.

But for ergonomics, the joystick, dedicated ISO dial and new mode dial all make a better experience. You also get the "My Menu" for a custom menu.
The SCP also has some minor changes, and of course shutter actuations now doubled compared to the EM1.2 that may help if you do a lot of burst shooting.

So if you have the cash it is a nice upgrade, but possibly not if you are only chasing IQ.

Maybe wait to see what the new thing to be announced later this year, as the EM1.2 is still current.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I generally wait to do a 2 or 3 generation upgrade, unless there is SIGNIFICANT value in that 1 generation upgrade.
  • Example1. From the EM1-mk1 to the mk2, there WAS a significant difference; the EVF performance changed, the e-shutter was more generally usable, better CAF. The mk1 was painfully usable for sports (though perfectly fine for non-sports), the mk2 fixed all the issues I had with the mk1, so that 1-generation upgrade made sense, to me, and I did it.
  • Example2. From the EM1-mk2 to the mk3 however, I do not see a significant difference "for me." So I did not get the mk3, and planned to wait for the mk4 or mk5.
So, YOU have to evaluate the mk3, and determine if there is enough value in the mk3, over the mk2, to spend the money to upgrade to it.

I think the sensor in the mk3 is the same as in the mk2.
So the only change would be in the JPG processing engine.
However if you shoot RAW, the camera's JPG processing engine does not apply.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
I wish I had got into m4/3 a few months later, than I would be E-M1 mark III user instead a Mark II user, and not be so envious of HHHR and 1.0 to 1.5 stops extra image stabilization. They seem like underrated improvements, not only for image quality, but also in terms of carrying less gear.

They are nonetheless just iterative improvements. Just one iteration of difference. I don't think upgrade from one iteration to the next is ever worth it. Maybe if you are wildlife photographer, you might want AF joystick. But generally probably better wait at least 2 iterations.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
I have both the MK II and MK III. I prefer to use the MK II for birding, and the MK III for focus stacks. I was hoping with the new engine under the hood, the MK III would speed up the focus stacking, I've not noticed any difference.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I upgraded from em1-1 to em1-3 and think that was a major jump. Not regretting that.

But to me, em1-2 to em1-3 is to small jump to justify the cost.
But it’s your money.
if you got a lot and don’t know what to use it on, upgrade!

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Em1 mk1 to mk2 was a significant improvement in focus speed and accuracy. I bought one immediately when I got the opportunity to handle it at a photo show.

Whilst I'd like the joystick, I can't justify the upgrade. HHHR is nice, but the biggest print I've done in the last five years is A3.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Em1 mk1 to mk2 was a significant improvement in focus speed and accuracy. I bought one immediately when I got the opportunity to handle it at a photo show.

Whilst I'd like the joystick, I can't justify the upgrade. HHHR is nice, but the biggest print I've done in the last five years is A3.
Richard, even my E-1 is great for A2 prints.

You do have to get everything precisely right in the camera, but I reckon that's always the case anyway!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom