EM1 Mark II does well in weather resistance test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OlympMick, Jan 8, 2018.

1. OlympMick

OlympMick Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No surprise either that Sony failed again. What's worse, this is what their web site says:

I'm amazed they can claim that, then fit almost no sealing and still go on to charge in excess of $4k for it. What's more, as even a quick scan of the internet will reveal, Sony won't even repair (even at your cost) a camera that has water damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OlympMick

OlympMick Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Perhaps Sony's definition of "harsh conditions" = light fog !

People need to consider things like weather sealing when they criticise the price of the Oly flagship and compare it to cheaper cameras.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Glad the EM1.2 did well.

5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Interesting. It shows that yet again, Sony can make one hell of an electronic device, meanwhile Canon/Nikon/Olympus can make one hell of a camera.

The "heavy rain" test looked quite severe, so I'm glad to see that the E-M1 II help up just as, as did the D850 (which I'm assuming/hoping has the same build quality as my D500).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The results don’t surprise me at all.

Wish they had done the “heavy” rain test for something like an hour.

Much better test would be to send out photographers during heavy rain to spend a few hours shooting, but it’s good to see someone doing some type of testing.

7. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

:2thumbs: Thanks for sharing @OlympMick@OlympMick ... while I don't have the E-M1 II... yet :)... it's good to know I've made the right choice in my switch to Olympus from FF... at one time Sony was in the picture. I don't anticipate subjecting any camera to those conditions in the video but there are certainly times when you can get caught off guard through no fault of your own.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Wish they took these 4 cameras out in the snow and ice. Rain? Lol.

9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

If anyone would like to lend me theirs I'd be more than happy to test them out in those conditions... we have them both here right now... heavy snowfall with possible rain/ice showers to follow.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I used my EM1 in the snow. Fairly heavy fresh snow falling, plus being dropped in the snow a couple of times and being hit straight on by a snowball. I'd say it passed the snow test. Good thing I had a UV Haze filter on the front of the 12-40 Pro though. Kept the snow off the front element.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. F596632E-3D05-4393-A973-2F34A0A22163.
    Trust me, I use mine no matter the weather.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2018
    Mine is brand new. No way it gets wet. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 31, 2013
    Sony still won't use gaskets where they need them, typical results follow. Tighter tolerances, overlaps, etc, all of those work great if you're building a structure that has building materials that can survive some water and are allowed to dry out. Camera internals inclusive of electronics and other things that corrode? Yeah, no. You need to actually have conformal coatings and seals where it actually counts.

14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    My new to me EM1 and several month old 300/4 laying in the bottom of my kayak...................................

27493678059_2882034371_k.
    EM1 w/ 300mm f4.0
    by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

It's built for it so I don't shy away from using it for what it is intended for.

• Wow x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    Anyone know if there is a difference between the original EM-1 vs. the Mark II?
    When it comes to weatherization.

16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    As far as I know the same. Olympus has always had amazing weather sealing and honestly the best in the industry.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  17. DennyVanNostrand

DennyVanNostrand Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2018
    That is awesome! Your pics are absolutely killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2017
    I've had my E-410 like that on more than one occasion as well as using it at -20°C when it was only a few months old.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I've brought my E-M10 mk. I in a rainstorm and it survived. Olympus tough! :D

• Like Like x 1