1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 Mark II Announcement

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by atarijedi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    So, the press conference was kinda rough, at least for us Youtube watchers. Buffering/glitch issues and all.

Here are the specs I gathered:

20mp sensor.

1 F-stop better lowlight/noise reduction.

18fps RAW with continuous AF.

Pre-shooting mode, can capture up to 14 frames during half-press.

121 cross-type autofocus points, all PDAF/CDAF hybrid.

Dual SD cards.

DCI 4k at 237mbps, 30fps max.

50MP High Res mode w/o Blur (didn't hear what was said about this, anyone confirm?).

If you can add more, please do.

2. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I'm in love with the G80 but I gotta say , if the EM1 lives up to all of this.. its revolutionary... I just won't be able to afford one

Here's the entire press text:
    Olympus E-M1II press text – 43 Rumors

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    New battery and grip, new FL 900 flash that's weatherproof

4. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    plus,
    • 60fps full res, RAW in S-AF.
    • uses both contrast and phase detect, all the time (Dual AF mode)
    • AF points cover 75% of sensor
    • Pre-shooting, aka Pro Capture
    • New Battery, New Grip
    • EVF at 120 fps, 6ms response time
    • Pro Camera support

5. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Would love to know what all this goodness will cost!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I see this part in the press release

"A High Res Shot Mode will utilize the Voice Coil Motor (VCM) system of the 5-Axis Image Stabilization System to precisely shift the sensor in half pixel increments while capturing a total of eight shots. The camera will then automatically composite the shots into a single 50-megapixel equivalent ultra-high resolution image7. This unique Olympus technology is a necessity for any still life photographer or anyone that requires ultra-fine detail reproduction. The new TruePic VIII Image Processor will effectively suppress blur due to subject movement, making it possible to utilize High Res Shot Mode in a wide variety of shooting conditions, such as gently-blowing grass, tree leaves, or ocean waves. In addition to 80 megapixel RAW and 50-megapixel equivalent JPEG images, it will be possible to select a smaller 25 megapixel equivalent file size."

Emphasis mine, makes me wonder if that smaller 25MP size will be what RichardB was asking for, a pixel shift like Pentax that deals with colour resolution instead of spacial resolution.

"Users will be able to back up customized camera settings on a computer so that they can be re-applied to the camera whenever necessary, especially useful for using the same settings on multiple cameras or maintaining settings after a firmware update."

and

"Specify Folder function will let users select a folder as a recording destination and create new folders to make image editing and management easier."

Read the press release!

I wonder what the price will be.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
  8. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Stablized 4k video?

The press release looks incredible! This is make or break for Olympus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Clipboard03.

This is cute. Does the current E-M1 have a focus limiter?

Brian

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Honestly, I'm a Panasonic guy, but I think they definately got trounced by this announcement. If this lives up to expectations it'll push forward M43 as a whole specifically because it addresses some of its weaknesses like AF peformance etc. If it can compete with Dual Pixel , then you might start to see more M43 at sporting events, coupled with the PRO lenses it'll be a force to be reckoned with. This can only be good news for M43. Panasonic will have to play catchup , which I'm sure they will eventually :)

11. Brian Beezley

Clipboard04.

This is new, isn't it?

Brian

12. dpswbab

dpswbab Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2014
    Did anyone hear or see an availability date. All I saw was 'later this year'.

13. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    "1 Slot1:UHS-I,II compatible , Slot2:UHS-I compatible."

I hope that is a typo. Both slots should be UHS-II, according to what they said at the event. If they are different, that could cause issues with mirroring speeds.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Some nice tech, probably great if you're a sports/BIF etc photographer or are into video. Me, I'm a stills guy and what I want to know is:

- How much better is the DR? Seems there's a claim of 1-stop. Great, but is it sensor-native (i.e. on raw files), or some jpeg snake oil?

- How much better is the noise?

- When/if are we going to get hand-held hi-res?

Given the swivel screen I'll not be pre-ordering until the reviews show a worthwhile IQ improvement. I'm sort of worried that this is a similar sensor to the Pen F and that did not deliver any meaningful improvement in IQ.

15. Brian Beezley

Clipboard08.

That's it. I'm sold.

Brian

• Funny x 18
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Sad x 1
  16. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    Supposedly the noise is 1 stop better, I would assume it is native, because most pro's shoot in raw.

Also, it was stated that hi-res could be taken without blur. I don't know if Olympus ever made the claim of handheld though. But the hi-res in the EM5mk2 isn't the greatest when it comes to movement, so even if you can take a picture with trees moving moderately, and not get those issues. I think it would be great.

17. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I wouldn't say that. I think the GX85 and G85 are the culmination of the m4/3 cycle that began with the original E-M5. They are excellent cameras offering most anything that a current hobbyist would want.

The E-M1 ii and GH5 will be offering a series of new features for pros. However, they will be very expensive niche cameras, and I'd wager that they will not be fully refined in this generation. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that unless the 20mp sensor in the E-M1 ii really is superior to that in the GX8 and Pen-F, I think there will be an E-M1 iii relatively soon.

Anyway, I think both companies had good days, but the presentation of the G85 was much more exciting for me, because it's a camera I might actually buy.

PS Arguably, the best news of the day were the lens announcements.

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I wonder when we'll see the first independent reviews?

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    "Finally, an in-camera AF limiter will be included to achieve faster focusing by limiting the focus range of the lens, thus preventing time-consuming focus hunting." Great!

"The AF Targeting Pad feature will allow users to select the AF point by sliding their finger on the rear touch LCD while looking through the viewfinder." Finally both companies do it!

"Preset MF will let users quickly set a preferred focus distance when using manual focus." Yay, one button hyperfocal distance. Much like Ricoh's snap focus, so also good for that!

Plus minimum shutter speed setting for auto ISO, and the ability to export settings t your computer and transfer them over.

Just a few of the usability features that jumped to my mind, and the 121 cross type PDAF sensors should also help a good bit.

This is going to be very tough to resist if the image quality is at least marginally better.

20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Mindboggling specifications. Just nuts.

The GH5 has crazy video specs, the G80 is the new bargain value king of mirrorless, but this E-M1 II really does sound revolutionary. Better in every single way than its predecessor, and not just a little bit, but dramatically.

• Agree Agree x 2