1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 Locks up

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by acnomad, Mar 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    In searching the forums, there are no recent posts indicating EM1 issues with locking up to the point where battery removal/replacement is needed to recover. The older posts imply that the problem was cleared up by an earlier FW update and/or use of OEM batteries.

I recently acquired a refurbished EM1 with FW 4.0 that locked up twice today while shooting sports (C-AF+TR and sequential H, shutter priority). Are there any EM1 owners that still have this issue?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It has been quite a long time since my E-M1 has locked up, if it was my E-M1 and not another body. Have you tried a full reset to see if that might help? And have you upated your lenses as well?

--Ken

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mine has locked up once or twice on 4.0 before with auto focus bracketing and the i40 TTL flash. The flash/camera sync got messed up in the burst or something... Haven't had it since 4.1 though.

4. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have never had it after discarding my non Olympus batteries. I think it might happen where the battery fails to deliver the needed power for a moment. Try this in the settings:
    - K Utility
    -- Battery Warning Level: change from 0 to +2

5. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    Good call. I see that the 75mm f/1.8 which I was using is due for an update.

In speaking with Olympus, 4.1 had changes for only the IBIS and flash functions. Do you think the lock up issue is ever IBIS related?

Done.

Thanks for all three suggestions. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow's sporting events!

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sometime they squish bugs in FW updates but do not necessarily publish that information. As long a FW update is reasonably stable and has been out for a bit, I would recommend it.

--Ken

7. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    OK, Ken. You talked me into it!
    -Andy

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Don't forget to write down all of your settings before updating so you can easily restore them afterwards.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. acnomad

acnomad Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 5, 2016
    Andy
    After making all the changes suggested above, I shot two sports events yesterday, one indoors and one outdoors, without a single lockup. Hopefully, that means that this problem is solved. Many thanks to all!

• Like Like x 1