1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1: Lever-2 position stops working

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sonicxpx, Mar 9, 2014.

1. sonicxpx

sonicxpx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Linh Vo
    I need some help with lever functions on the EM1.

I've been using EM1 for nearly 1 week, since I got it on my hand I set the Lever function to Mode 1 with Lever-2 position - ON. It worked for me very well to control ISO and WB, as well as the HDR/AF/Bracketing function. I don't know why Lever-2 function stopped working in all Modes (A/P/S/M...), I try to do full camera reset then set Lever function/Lever-2 On/Off/On... but nothing happens. Am I doing wrong anything?

I read the EM1 Manual (http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M1_MANUAL_EN.pdf) but I can't find anything related to activate/de-activated lever function. My camera firmware is ver 2.0.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You have to make sure to press and hold the HDR button down to change the bracketing and HDR parameters. Sometimes just slightly letting up on the HDR will disengage the process. You are using the correct settings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I don't use Lever 2 at all. I've gone through the manual so many times and can't find a reason to use it. My anticipation of the E-M1, from all the reviews, was that it was extremely customisable via the buttons and controls, but it's not quite to the level that I was led to believe. It's pretty good, but so many options can't be invoked, while others just get duplicated with one dial/button/lever or the other, but you can't select functions that you'd like. For example, I can set just about any button for ISO, but none for focus light on/off, or a button to toggle between S-AF and C-AF, or toggle between spot/area focus etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. portadiferro

portadiferro Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2013
    My mode lever stopped working as well few weeks ago and I sent the camera for repairs last week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    You can use Lever 1/Lever 2 to toggle between S-AF and C-AF, or I assume Spot/Area focus. I have mine set for S-AF and C-AF and I find it quite useful.

6. sonicxpx

sonicxpx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Linh Vo
    Thanks everyone. I think I have to send the camera for repair next week. Does anyone know how long it takes to get fixed if I send the camera to Australia/Malaysia/US?

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's not quite what I was after, as it then disables the other functions when in Lever 1 mode. It may be possible to set up things in a My Set, but I haven't explored that option in any detail.

8. Empato

Empato Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Central Scotland.
    Started a thread about this problem earlier tonight. (Didn't see this one previously) Is this a known problem with the E-M1 or can anyone advise what might be wrong?

9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    My experience with repairs in Australia was very quick. 1 week after receipt of my camera it was back in my hands. Well done Olympus Australia.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    This setting doesn't seem to be put right by a full reset:

- B Button/Dial/Lever

-- Last line, control lever position 2, change from Off to On