EM1.ii Video Length Restrictions?

Real Name
Melissa
I've been using my EM1.ii to record video of my son's drum performances, and haven't had any problems until recently. The last few outings I've noticed that two videos have been created for each performance. When I watch them back, the first recording is most of the song, but then it stops. The second recording appears to pick up where the first video stops, and has recorded up to when I push the video button to stop recording. At first I thought it was me, but this has happened the past two outings, to multiple songs I've tried to video.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Matt Drown

Mu-43 Veteran
Sadly, I can't help there, I've yet to tackle video in any meaningful way. If you want professional and free you can look at Davinci Resolve. If you want a pay, Adobe Premier, Avid. If you want free and possibly "easy", there a handful of Non-Linear Editors that work (ShotCut is what that I played with a little bit).

I've been reading from here - Reddit Video Editing FAQ

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
Looking at the file size they are big. Any recommendations on an editor?
2GB isn’t that much video. Note also that the EM1.2 has a 30 min recording limit.

Resolve is free and works fine on most EM1.2 files. If you find you need the full studio version (needed for C4k resolution files of EM1.2 and handling higher end files like from Panasonic cameras), the cost is still way lower than Adobe.

It has a steep learning curve (IMO that is common to most NLEs).

If you are interested in learning video motion effects, Adobe is better because of AfterEffects.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The FAT32 file size limit is 4GB not 2GB. Still not a lot of video.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
The FAT32 file size limit is 4GB not 2GB. Still not a lot of video.
Splitting files is fine, it does require a tiny bit more work in post (though most NLEs do fine). Most cameras do this (esp if they don’t use ExFat)

Now hopefully Olympus is splitting the files in a way that avoids a glitch at the splits, which happens on some cameras.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been using my EM1.ii to record video of my son's drum performances, and haven't had any problems until recently. The last few outings I've noticed that two videos have been created for each performance. When I watch them back, the first recording is most of the song, but then it stops. The second recording appears to pick up where the first video stops, and has recorded up to when I push the video button to stop recording. At first I thought it was me, but this has happened the past two outings, to multiple songs I've tried to video.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
This is due to the maximum length of a single file (4 gigabytes) that is used in the FAT32/VFAT filesystem used on SD and SD-HC cards (i.e. up to 32 gigabytes). The ExFat filesystem used on the SD-XC cards doesn't have such a limit, but Olympus hasn't bothered to change their code not to split the files. So you would need to join the files together in post processing to make a single file.

FWIW, my Panasonic G85 will record 4K videos as a single file if I use a SD-XC card. But 1080p videos are split at the 4 gigabyte boundaries (roughly 28 minutes).

At least the E-m1 mark II now makes multiple files. I don't tend to record video on Olympus cameras so I don't know when it changed, but I recall earlier cameras would just stop recording when it reached the limit.

Note, Olympus cameras will stop recording at 29 minutes and 59 seconds. This is due to a European tariff that classified cameras that could record 30 minutes of video as video cameras, and subject to a higher import fee. That tariff has evidently expired, but Olympus hasn't raised the limit. There is a firmware modification to remove the limit (or at least make it longer) posted in this site. Note, the person who created this modification has not posted here since June 2019, so I would be cautious about using it:

Real Name
Siegfried
My EM5 MKII also did that. As somebody said they can be joined seamlessly. One of the advantages having multiple files is you working with smaller files when you need to cut parts and work with the files.
Final Cut pro for a Mac is an excellent movie editor and developed by Apple for Macs. It does not hang and works really good. All Adobe Premier versions hang and its extremely frustrating.
DaVinci is also a great option and free when using the basic version. Also the new Log400 from Olympus has free LUT for Da Vinci, its not the case for Final Cut or I have not seen something....
You will also find so many great videos on youtube to get you started....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom