EM1 II Slow2 flash

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
Hi,

I have no problems when I use my nissin i40 mounted on the camera for long exposure 2nd curtain flash. However I want to be able to hold the flash remotely so have tried using my FL-LM3 as a trigger.
Once this i attached to the camera it flashes at the start of the exposure and at the end, so triggering the i40 too soon.
I am new to this technique and was wondering if i was missing a setting as it always flashes twice.
Replace with the i40 and all is well with no changes to settings. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s probably red eye reduction. That emits a pre-flash to contact the pupil and prevent red eye.

Also, welcome to the site
Yes possibly, but why does the i40 not do the same?
I can use the i40 on camera but it is a little limiting, really wanted to be able to position way from the camera. Could this just be an issue with the FL-LM3 and the way it works?

Thanks

Frank

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
My guess is that the EM1ii does not have a built-in flash and so the FL-LM3 behaves as one. I've never seen a third-party flash do red-eye. That's just a guess.
Hi,

That’s sounds highly likely, will continue experimenting. Thanks again for your input.

Regards

Frank

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Try use the FL LM3 just for the transmission to i40 not to compensate as a flash in the scene , you can do it through flash menu on camera.

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
Try use the FL LM3 just for the transmission to i40 not to compensate as a flash in the scene , you can do it through flash menu on camera.
Hi,

Thanks, I have set camera to RC mode, but FL-LM3 still flashes at start and end of exposure, triggering my i40 at the start of exposure and not the end.
Can't see any way I can change this in menu.

Thanks

Frank

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do you have the flash in TTL mode where it fires two exposures? First for exposure test, and second for the final exposure.

I often use a Sekonic L-858-U meter and I had to set the thing for two exposures as it got confused for the reading by the default of one.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Once this i attached to the camera it flashes at the start of the exposure and at the end, so triggering the i40 too soon.
Which wireless slave mode do you have it set? "SF" mode is definitely the wrong mode looking a the manual. So you want either the "SD" mode or the wireless TTL slave mode. If you are using the TTL mode, try the SD mode which should ignore the initial pre-flash and fire on the second.

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
Do you have the flash in TTL mode where it fires two exposures? First for exposure test, and second for the final exposure.

I often use a Sekonic L-858-U meter and I had to set the thing for two exposures as it got confused for the reading by the default of one.
Hi,

The FL-LM3 has no settings, in camera I can select,
Manual - 1 flash
Red eye - 2 flashes
Red eye slow - 2 flashes
Fill - 1 flash
Slow - 1 flash
Slow 2 (second curtain) - 2 flashes.

with i40 mounted on camera and set to Slow 2 there are no issues and flash fires on second curtain, so I can use this. I was just looking for the flexibility of being able to hold flash away from camera at different angles. Maybe if it becomes a problem I will need to get a dedicated trigger but for now I will experiment with i40 mounted on camera.

Thanks for all the replies,

Frank

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Right but if you are using the i40 as a remote slave flash you need to set the i40's dial for one of the slave modes. Which one are you using (see last three choices in the list)?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Manual - 1 flash
Red eye - 2 flashes
Red eye slow - 2 flashes
Fill - 1 flash
Slow - 1 flash
Slow 2 (second curtain) - 2 flashes.
That's the flash menu. You want the RC mode menu. I have an E-M10, where it is in the shooting mode 2 menu. I don't know where in the menus that would be for your camera. Once RC is turned on, my SCP looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 7.48.10 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Each of the 3 groups and the on-camera flash (at the bottom on my SCP) can be set to TTL, manual or OFF. Check your manual for the particulars for your camera.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,

Thanks, I have set camera to RC mode, but FL-LM3 still flashes at start and end of exposure, triggering my i40 at the start of exposure and not the end.
Can't see any way I can change this in menu.

Thanks

Frank
There is certainly an option for the small flash just to transmit , on the bottom of camera‘s RC menu you have to pick option OFF . Then the on board flash is just a transmitter , but I don’t know how it’s working with slow2 flash option.

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
EM1 MK2 manual, page 153.
  • Remote flash units cannot be used for second curtain slow synchronization or anti-shock exposures longer than 4 seconds.
Lost in translation a little, so whether that's all second curtain sync shots, or just those where the shutter is open for 4 seconds+ is open to interpretation.

Olympus manuals are available to download as pdfs.

Here's one: https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em1m2_e.pdf

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
That's the flash menu. You want the RC mode menu. I have an E-M10, where it is in the shooting mode 2 menu. I don't know where in the menus that would be for your camera. Once RC is turned on, my SCP looks like this:

View attachment 848242

Each of the 3 groups and the on-camera flash (at the bottom on my SCP) can be set to TTL, manual or OFF. Check your manual for the particulars for your camera.

FrancisOak

New to Mu-43
  • Remote flash units cannot be used for second curtain slow synchronization or anti-shock exposures longer than 4 seconds.
Lost in translation a little, so whether that's all second curtain sync shots, or just those where the shutter is open for 4 seconds+ is open to interpretation.

Olympus manuals are available to download as pdfs.

Here's one: https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em1m2_e.pdf
Hi,

I think you are correct from testing I have done that seems to be the case.
I will stick to i40 on camera and experiment from here.
Thanks for all efforts/replies

Frank

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks for posting this. I checked the E-M10 manual and the same footnote is there. It must be universal to all Olympus cameras and perhaps all m43.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom