EM1 II & 300mm Olympus Pro Lens with Gimbal Tripod Head?

tomas

Mu-43 Regular
I'm thinking of getting a gimbal head for use with my EM1 II and my Olympus Pro 300m lens (w/without an Olympus 1.4 teleconverter) for hummingbird photos at a backyard feeder. The hummingbirds come at infrequent intervals to my feeder and stay for very short time periods. In the past two years that I have been doing this type of shooting, I have shot handheld and have missed a lot of shots.

I have three questions:

First, any recommendations for a head? Since I won't ever be shooting anything heavier than my present combo, I don't think the ultra expensive Wimberley gimbal head makes sense. There are a number of heads for sale on Amazon and elsewhere for much less.

Second, any tripod recommendations? I am in my mid 70's and will not be going out into the field shooting birds and wildlife. So this will be mostly backyard shooting and grandchildren at sporting events.

Third, any of you have experience shooting this combo on a gimbal head with respect to IS on or off? One reviewer on Amazon suggested keeping them on when using a gimbal head. I would hate to have to turn them off.

I got this Jobu Jr 3 for use with my EM1 and have been very happy with it - Jobu Design BWG-J3K Jobu Jr.3 Gimbal Kit with Swing-Arm BWG-J3K

I have two tripods that I use regularly. The first is an old aluminum one that I have since my film days and is way over built for m4/3. It is solid and reliable, but I don't take it into the field with me. It is mostly for shooting at home or from the car when I need a good strong base. The other tripod I use in the field and is always with me when on foot in the field or in my kayak is this one - MeFOTO RoadTrip Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit (Black) C1350Q1K It works well for what I use it for, but I honestly hardly ever extend the legs. Mostly use it while sitting on the ground, but even with legs extended it should be sturdy enough for your use.

As for IS............I turned the IS on in all my m4/3 cameras the day I got them and have never turned it off. All the stuff you see on the internet about it causing movement of the sensor and soft photos is really a carry over from the old days when IS was first introduced. Back then you did need to turn it off because it could get confused when on a sturdy tripod. I have see no evidence of that in modern day cameras.

tomas

Mu-43 Regular
I got this Jobu Jr 3 for use with my EM1 and have been very happy with it - Jobu Design BWG-J3K Jobu Jr.3 Gimbal Kit with Swing-Arm BWG-J3K

I have two tripods that I use regularly. The first is an old aluminum one that I have since my film days and is way over built for m4/3. It is solid and reliable, but I don't take it into the field with me. It is mostly for shooting at home or from the car when I need a good strong base. The other tripod I use in the field and is always with me when on foot in the field or in my kayak is this one - MeFOTO RoadTrip Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod Kit (Black) C1350Q1K It works well for what I use it for, but I honestly hardly ever extend the legs. Mostly use it while sitting on the ground, but even with legs extended it should be sturdy enough for your use.

As for IS............I turned the IS on in all my m4/3 cameras the day I got them and have never turned it off. All the stuff you see on the internet about it causing movement of the sensor and soft photos is really a carry over from the old days when IS was first introduced. Back then you did need to turn it off because it could get confused when on a sturdy tripod. I have see no evidence of that in modern day cameras.

tomas

Mu-43 Regular
Many thanks. I'll check out your recommendations. Glad to hear that news about the IS. We won't be seeing the hummingbirds around where I live until the latter part of April. I hope to be ready by then.

Many thanks. I'll check out your recommendations. Glad to hear that news about the IS. We won't be seeing the hummingbirds around where I live until the latter part of April. I hope to be ready by then.

You are welcome. I have used that gimbal with all my lenses and it has performed well with all of them, even my Sigma 50-500. It's about the smallest I have found that still performs up to the standards I require from my gear. My 300/4, 150/2 , 50-200 SWD don't feel to small for it (actually about the right size) and I know a friend who uses his ZD 300mm f2.8 aka Big Tuna on it without any problems.

I rarely use a gimbal, so I bought a movo brand version for a very low price. It probably won't compare to a high end model, but for the price I was pretty pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. I use it occasionally with the 100-400, including some video use.
I think this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-GH700-Professional-Arca-Swiss-Quick-Release/dp/B00GK4IYP8

I rarely use a gimbal, so I bought a movo brand version for a very low price. It probably won't compare to a high end model, but for the price I was pretty pleasantly surprised at the fit and finish. I use it occasionally with the 100-400, including some video use.
I think this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/Movo-GH700-Professional-Arca-Swiss-Quick-Release/dp/B00GK4IYP8
There were some misaligmment issues on early models, but it seems to have been sorted out. Mine is good.

After moving from Canon to Olympus I sold my (now over-sized) Wimberley and got a RRS PG-01 that I am very happy with. It is sized for Micro 4/3, weighs just over a pound and I can easily stick it in my jacket pocket.

Jonnieb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jon Barnett
If you have a decent ball head, a Wimberley Sidekick would do the job. Mine works great with the E-M1.2 and 300 F4 wt 1.4 TC

atarijedi

Mu-43 Regular
I also have a Jobu Jr 3, and I use it with the Em1 mk2 and the Pany 100-400mm. Great combination.

tomas

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I ended up with a MOVO GH700 and a Manfrotto MT055XPRO in aluminum. I assembled it yesterday. It looks like it will meet my needs quite well. Thank you again

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom