1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 grip - too sharp/angular?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Steven, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I am considering getting EM1 and when I tried it in a store I thought the grip was a little too thin . I think I prefer the more plump grips like on GH3. Does anyone else feel the same way? I really want to like this camera because it's the only premium WR body with tilty screen :) but I have doubts about long term comfort of that grip :/ Would love to hear from owners . Thanks !

2. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Never had an issue myself. I prefer the naked EM1 (i.e. without battery grip), to my EM5 II naked, as I find the grip on the EM-1 much more comfortable. Also, as the EM1 and something like the 12-40 Pro isn't really that heavy, it's not like you have to really grip it hard (like I do for instance with my Heavy Nikon D810 and 24-570 F2.8).

TBH, I find the ergonomics of the EM1 pretty good with only really the flap covering the various connectors a bit of an afterthought as you have to tilt the screen forward to get at it in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm with you. I handled an E-M1 in a camera store for about 10 minutes or so, playing with it and what not, and just could not get past the fact that the grip was no where near as comfortable as the grip on my GH4's. I agree that it is too narrow, which results in you feeling like you have to "pinch" the grip to get a secure hold on the camera, something that I don't have to do with my GH4's.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I find it perfectly fine and not sure I would want it much bigger. When using smaller lenses like my 60mm macro, 17/2.8, or 7.5mm fisheye there is no problem holding the camera for long periods of time. When I am using my bigger lenses like the 50-200 SWD or 150mm ƒ2.0 I am holding and supporting the lens and the camera does not need that much support.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I find it very comfortable. It's the perfect size. If it was "fatter," it might interfere with finger space on the lens side of the grip. And, we wouldn't the EM1 to be larger to accommodate a larger grip. You may be used to a GH3 grip and you'd get used to your EM1 grip too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I Like it. Not an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I have an EM5 rather than an EM1 because of the grip. If I want a grip I'll add one but I don't like 'em most of the time. Perfect grip, the one you could add to an OM3/4 like the one here on eteless' OM3

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Perfectly comfortable. The GH series (which I've only held in stores) are differently comfortable and a bit more 'modern DSLR' in terms of feel and vibe. Both work fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the E-M1 grip is just fine. Works for me!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to work in health and safety and had to train people how to sit correctly at computer desks. I would see someone with bad posture, adjust their chair and desk and get them sitting correctly, and their immediate response would be "It's uncomfortable". I'd tell them to stick with it for a week and see how it felt then.

We're funny. Our bodies don't immediately know what's good or bad, or better or worse, when we're used to something being a particular way. Your grip sensations are like my worker's assessment of their posture. You expect something that feels like the grip you're used to, just as they expect a posture to be like the one they were used to, just better. If you get something else you don't like it and the tendency is always to interpret that sense of unfamiliarity and difference as being worse than what you're used to, or uncomfortable. The problem with posture and holding a camera is that once we're used to it we're not aware of it and that helps us to focus on what we're doing instead of how we're sitting or what the camera feels like in our hand. We don't want to be aware of how we're sitting or what the camera feels like, we just want to be able to do something without having extra sensation distracting us from whatever it is we're trying to do. You really need to get used to a new grip, reach the point where you expect it to feel the way it does when you pick up the camera so your brain can "filter out" the sensations of holding the camera and let you concentrate on what you're doing with it without any distraction, before you really can have an idea of whether or not it is good or comfortable.

I really like the E-M1 grip now but I came from the E-M5, both with and without it's add on grip, and when I first tried an E-M1 in the shop I hated the grip. It felt too big and the shape was wrong. Simply put, it didn't feel like the grip of the E-M5 I'd been using for over a year. I put off buying an E-M1 for quite a while because of that. Eventually I bought one, adjusted to it, and now I love the grip and think it's better than the E-M5, with or without its landscape grip mounted.

As someone who learnt a little about ergonomics in his studies, I can say that the E-M1 grip is a reasonable grip. Based on my work and personal experience I can say that your reaction to your handling of the camera for the first time is normal and that your opinion will change if you use one for a period of time. What I can't tell you is whether after doing that you will be more or less happy with it. People have hands of different sizes, and they find different things comfortable. There's an element of how the size and shape of a grip relates to your hand's size and shape, and an element of personal preference in how we feel about grips and no one can predict how another will end up feeling about a camera grip. My feeling from what I've heard and read is that most people like the E-M1 grip so I would suspect that you would end up liking it also, but I can't guarantee that, and I definitely can't guarantee whether you would prefer it to the grip on any other camera you have, or have used, like the GH3 because that kind of assessment really does contain a hell of a lot of personal preference, like whether you'd rather have coffee or tea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It might be a hand size thing. I have small-ish hands. Even the first time, the E-M1 grip felt excellent after being used to a E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this post

13. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    If you think the EM-1 grip is too small or too sharp get a Panny GX-8. Now that is a grip! But,this thing about grips is an obsession sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I came from the D300 grip which I thought was great. I like the E-M1 grip even though it is not as large. It is very easy to carry for long periods of time, even with a lens the size of the 12-40 attached. I recently acquired a D610 and that grip is just a bit too fat. I can see why they made the D750 a bit slimmer. But, YMMV.

Good luck,

--Ken

15. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Has anyone compared the EM1 grip with the EM5/EM5ii plus an add-on grip like the RRS I use? I really like the feel of my EM5 with that grip but have been thinking about moving to the EM1. I'd hate to lose that hand comfort. That might be one of the things that swings me away from the M1 and to the M5ii.

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Some one may have but if their hand size is different to yours, their opinion may be very different to what yours would be and then there's simply the fact that personal preference plays a part as I said above. Read all you like but in the end the only way to find out is to use an E-M1 for a while. Definitely try one in a shop but first impressions from a couple of minutes often aren't all that reliable, you really need to use the camera for a bit to get a good idea. Ideally borrow or rent one for a day or two and see what you think after using it. That's the best way to answer these questions.

All i can say is that I prefer the E-M1 to the original E-M5, with or without the Olympus grip. YMMV and it's your mileage which counts.

17. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yep. It's a very personal thing. Big hands, small hands, gloves, big lenses, etc. I'm looking for small with minimal protuberances which is why I prefer the EM5 to the EM1. Obviously a lot of folks like the EM1 for the grip. Why can't they do like the OM3/4 where you can mount a grip or not? Some people made beautiful custom grips. I could appreciate a body with a choice of different small grips which could be mounted. I bet the off-shore ebay sellers would be all over it. And I'm not talking about the big clunky battery grips which are a different tool.

18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Interestingly several of the early Pens' had it also and so did the ZX-2. It's amazing how much difference a small bit of plastic can make.

19. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    its the best ergonomically designed camera ive ever wrapped my hands around

its also much better than the em5 i had

• Agree Agree x 1