EM1 grip glue problem

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry if this has been brought up before (I searched but couldn't find a thread on it), but the rear grip on my EM1 is starting to pull off, looks like the adhesive has failed. I feel like I've seen other people have this problem as well, but it may have been on DPR.

Anyway, has anyone found a solution for this other than sending the camera in for warranty service? Perhaps a DIY fix someone can recommend? I need the camera for an ongoing project I'm doing so I can't send it in for service at this time.

lowlight

Mu-43 Regular
have you tried glueing it back into place? or some double sided tape that could hold it temporarily....

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Oddly enough I noticed this problem on my E-M1 yesterday.... its about 1 year old....and it was a hot day yesterday

going to try a spot of superglue at this point... will let you know how I get on

K

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
thanks usayit

I am heading back to europe today... so I wont attempt a repair right now... any suggestions of brand of adhesive would be appreciated

cheers

K

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
You might want to contact an authorized repair facility and maybe they will sell you a new 'skin' to replace your peeling cover.
If you don't go that route, I glued a peeling skin on an old film camera using rubber cement. I worked great for years (until I sold it).
Good luck!

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
thanks usayit

I am heading back to europe today... so I wont attempt a repair right now... any suggestions of brand of adhesive would be appreciated

cheers

K

Info for contact cement:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/uses-for-contact-cement.htm

Dap or Elmers.. worked fine for me. Keep in mind that contact cement needs to air dry before pressing the components together. Its easy to forget as most glues are assembled before the glue is "set"... contact cement is the opposite. Rubber cement (don't use ones that have a lot of solvent although all have some) is less permanent and easy to clean. I prefer contact cement but I've used rubber cement in the past in a pinch with no ill effects.. works great.

You can always "test" the glue at hand on a corner or something too if you are unsure.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The E-1 used to have that problem. I tried various glues, including contact, and none of them really worked well. Olympus sold replacement rubber pads with the adhesive tape pre-fitted and with a proper cleaning of the camera surface, that fixed the issue the best. I'd say you can get the same for the E-M1. If you can find the right sort of double-sided tape (very thin) then you can repair it yourself and hope it stays fixed.

Yorkie

New to Mu-43
Olympus do sell the grips at good prices in the UK. I had a grip come off on the e5 and a new one cost less than £10 including postage. Just use some white spirit to clean the residue off and stick on the new grip. Much easier than messing with the old.

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Gorilla glue...water based and has never let me down. Used it to reattach mouldings on cars, my glasses, leather on my shoes, haven't had to try it on my E-M1 but if anything goes I will.

tweggers

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Terry Eggers
Hello, I had this happen on my first EM-1. They replaced the camera with a new camera. It was under warranty
Good luck, Terry
Sorry if this has been brought up before (I searched but couldn't find a thread on it), but the rear grip on my EM1 is starting to pull off, looks like the adhesive has failed. I feel like I've seen other people have this problem as well, but it may have been on DPR.

Anyway, has anyone found a solution for this other than sending the camera in for warranty service? Perhaps a DIY fix someone can recommend? I need the camera for an ongoing project I'm doing so I can't send it in for service at this time.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Update:

I got some contact cement and used that, a few day later its seems to have worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the advice!

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Gorilla glue...water based and has never let me down. Used it to reattach mouldings on cars, my glasses, leather on my shoes, haven't had to try it on my E-M1 but if anything goes I will.
Gorilla glue is indeed very versatile and strong. On the other hand, I have yet to master whatever special Gorrilla technique is required to not make a mess.... That stuff expands as it cures and I always make a complete mess of things when it does.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Have just found my em1 back grip is lifting. Contacted Olympus and they want me to send it in for a quote. Don't know why they would need to quote it as it should be a straight forward price for a grip replacement. Will call them today and speak to someone about this.

Any other suggestions for best glue fixes keeping in mind that the grip is removed for repairs so it can't be unremovable due to this.

Thanks

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used contact cement and that worked fine. I actually sent this in for repair eventually, as I had the rear dial problem and my USB port failed (snapped off while using a remote shutter release) and bricked the entire camera. Pretty awful build quality for a $1400 camera I have to say, the rear dial problem is starting to show on my backup body now as well.

Anyway, they were able to remove the contact cement that I used to glue the grip on apparently as it was repaired without any issues.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, I think used Gorilla Glue when the rear panel came loose... It didn't help for very long - perhaps I should have fully removed the grip first and cleaned it. Anyways, Oly/PCR fixed it soon after as I also had a failing dial.

Now, both front grips have a loose area... If it gets worse I'll have to try glue again.

Btw, some glues can be removed with alcohol, which should be safe around most areas of the camera.

RamblinR

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Maria
Just as a heads up for Australians. I just contacted Olympus by phone (previous contact about this was by email on their site). Have just been advised that they now have a:

$88 Fixed Price General Service

This is new and apparently covers the grip and the rear dial repair and clean and service etc.

Pity they didn't have it 2 months ago when I send it yet another of my EM1 cameras for the rear dial repair. So it will be $88 for the grip repair and they post it back.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
my EM-1 grip fell off ,but it still worked. Then got green trash in EVF. Finally sent back and had it repaired. Works like new. Old EM-5 still humming,no problems.

Latest threads

Top Bottom