EM1 grip glue problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by EarthQuake, Sep 7, 2014.

1. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Sorry if this has been brought up before (I searched but couldn't find a thread on it), but the rear grip on my EM1 is starting to pull off, looks like the adhesive has failed. I feel like I've seen other people have this problem as well, but it may have been on DPR.

Anyway, has anyone found a solution for this other than sending the camera in for warranty service? Perhaps a DIY fix someone can recommend? I need the camera for an ongoing project I'm doing so I can't send it in for service at this time.
  2. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    have you tried glueing it back into place? or some double sided tape that could hold it temporarily....
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Oddly enough I noticed this problem on my E-M1 yesterday.... its about 1 year old....and it was a hot day yesterday

going to try a spot of superglue at this point... will let you know how I get on

• Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rubber glue or even better contact cement. superglue is corrosive to some rubbers and foams.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks usayit

I am heading back to europe today... so I wont attempt a repair right now... any suggestions of brand of adhesive would be appreciated

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    You might want to contact an authorized repair facility and maybe they will sell you a new 'skin' to replace your peeling cover.
    If you don't go that route, I glued a peeling skin on an old film camera using rubber cement. I worked great for years (until I sold it).
    Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

Info for contact cement:

Dap or Elmers.. worked fine for me. Keep in mind that contact cement needs to air dry before pressing the components together. Its easy to forget as most glues are assembled before the glue is "set"... contact cement is the opposite. Rubber cement (don't use ones that have a lot of solvent although all have some) is less permanent and easy to clean. I prefer contact cement but I've used rubber cement in the past in a pinch with no ill effects.. works great.

You can always "test" the glue at hand on a corner or something too if you are unsure.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The E-1 used to have that problem. I tried various glues, including contact, and none of them really worked well. Olympus sold replacement rubber pads with the adhesive tape pre-fitted and with a proper cleaning of the camera surface, that fixed the issue the best. I'd say you can get the same for the E-M1. If you can find the right sort of double-sided tape (very thin) then you can repair it yourself and hope it stays fixed.
  9. Yorkie

Yorkie New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2011
    Olympus do sell the grips at good prices in the UK. I had a grip come off on the e5 and a new one cost less than £10 including postage. Just use some white spirit to clean the residue off and stick on the new grip. Much easier than messing with the old.
  10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Can you tell if it's coming off because it's shrinking? If it's shrinking, no amount of re-gluing will keep it on there.
  11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Gorilla glue...water based and has never let me down. Used it to reattach mouldings on cars, my glasses, leather on my shoes, haven't had to try it on my E-M1 but if anything goes I will.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. tweggers

tweggers Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Terry Eggers
    Hello, I had this happen on my first EM-1. They replaced the camera with a new camera. It was under warranty
    Good luck, Terry
  13. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013

I got some contact cement and used that, a few day later its seems to have worked perfectly. Thanks for all of the advice!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. usayit

Gorilla glue is indeed very versatile and strong. On the other hand, I have yet to master whatever special Gorrilla technique is required to not make a mess.... That stuff expands as it cures and I always make a complete mess of things when it does.