1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 + (GM1 vs RX100MII)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m43man, Oct 17, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Wow, another exciting camera from Panasonic today! :eek:

I wonder if any existing EM5/EM1 owners are considering this little gem? I mean I absolutely love what the EM1 can do (that's why I'm selling my EM5 now), but at times after work I wish there is somethin' small and light for fun and personal shots. GM1 seems to fit this need perfectly, either paired with the kit lens or a small 12/17/20, and heck even the Oly lens cap lens! :thumbup:

Before GM1, I have been thinking about going back to the RX100M2, but GM1 has many unique features such as touch screen, interchangeable lens mount, and larger sensor (though the new kit lens is still horrible when compared to RX100M2's equivalent aperture).

Unfortunately, one annoying aspect of GM1 is the lack of an EVF or accessory port like the RX100M2 which can take RX1(R)'s EVF that I already have! There are times when critical focus is required, or when sunlight is too strong, I can't take a proper without an EVF! Why didn't Panasonic put an EVF on this? Or at least make it an option?

Another option is to go for GX7 because it offers everything I want, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a small fun camera when I'm not shooting for work or somethin' serious. So the question is, will GM1's lack of EVF drive me insane? Really confused :confused:

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Completely different types of cameras. My RX100 is the ideal quick and easy snapshot, fits in a pocket, good focal range and fast maximum aperture at the wide end camera. And is very good indeed in terms of IQ (no, not as good as the E-M5, but still very good indeed).

The GM1 strikes me as an ideal little minimalist camera. The whole point is not to have too many bells and whistles like a flash hotshoe, but a small, compact camera that just works. Besides, a hot shoe would mess with the aesthetic, and I'm guessing Panasonic (rightly) figures this may sell fantastically well to folks who want something with more percieved flexibility/upgradability but want a cute/sexy/small/fun camera. This one feels similar to some of Fuji's higher end compact/low end X series stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    As a EM5 owner, I'm keen to pick one up as a second body. I might wait until the dust settles, see how the reviews pan out, and to see if the prices drop a little

• Like Like x 1
  4. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    GM1 + 14-140mm would be the lightest travel setup (half the weight of RX10), add 45mm and it would be compact portrait setup.

• Like Like x 1
  5. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    The GM1 isn't designed for all that. If you're gonna complain that the tiny camera doesn't have an EVF, I can't imagine how upset you'll be when you find out that they won't be releasing a battery grip for it. Stop asking so much.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    I think that's a bad idea,to go with the gm1 that is...
    I honestly don't know what the point of it is, if you are gonna shoot it with just the 12-32mm, the nex3n with the 16-50mm pancake is gonna do better, they go for half the price, $330-350 on sale right now.

If you are gonna shoot other lenses such as the ones you listed, i think its a much better idea to go for the gx7, enjoy the flip up screen and the evf, as well as better ergonomics and controls. It is also not much bigger, if the camera doesn't fit in a jean pocket, and the gm1 won't, does the little size difference even matter?

here is a link comparing all 3 of them
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#491.397,442.360,472.30,ha,t

• Like Like x 1
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    If I didn't already have an E-PM1 with an underwater housing this would be very tempting.

I am more interested in the 15mm 1.7 personally!

• Like Like x 1
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In many ways the GM-1 is similar to the EOS-M. They both make heavy use of a touch screen interface for camera control, and a touch screen is an issue with the camera held up to your face: EVF is not as useful. If the GM-1 ever drops to the same price as I paid for the EOS with 22/2 ($300), I'll buy one. For now I'll stick with the E-PL5 for when I want a small package with interchangeable lenses.

9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    The GM-1 is only more touch-screen based than other MFT cameras when you stick the 12-32 on it. Use any other lens and it works like the GF, GX1 or PEN cameras. Actually it will work better, because it at least has a focus mode dial, so there's less menu diving.

It's a nice little piece of kit. A part of me wants to get one and stick my 100-300mm on it. Why? Because #### logic, that's why.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Yeah but (1) the GM1 is a lot smaller and lighter; and (2) the Sony 16-50mm PZ lens kinda sucks. We don't know how good the 12-32mm will be, but I'm betting it'll be a lot better.

Seriously?!?

Well, the PM2 fits in my pants pocket (maybe not jeans) so I'm sure the GM1 will fit super-easy. So yes, for me the size matters a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yes, but dpreview has GM1 and RX100 in the same sentence every two lines. Even Thom Hogan evaluates it as an RX100 killer.:rolleyes:

You know me from the A7(R), I like minimalism. But EVF is a must for older people like me who might be developing astigmatism soon! :cool:

12. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I know right? Compact size of RX100M2 and possibilities to put the best M43 glasses on this little gem when required, doesn't this sound ideal?

But when my eyes can't focus on the tiny screen due to astigmatism, it'll be pretty useless.

13. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Nope, don't care about the battery grip so won't be upset at all, I like minimalism :smile:

14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Me too!! Especially if this is sharp wide open, then it's equivalent DOF is ~F3.5 in FF, not top super bokehlicious but it's almost there! :thumbup:

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I was trying to decide between RX100 and E-pm1/2, but now this one comes in....:confused:

Will wait a bit longer and read the user reviews.

16. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I have the EP5 (very satisfied) and I have an Oly XZ-2 as my "smaller, pocket" camera. But might take a look at the GM1 to replace it. Like the idea of a better sensor (should yield better higher ISO results - I really hate flash) but I do like the zoom range of the XZ-2 and the fact it's a MUCH faster lens, while still having a decent zoom range and still closing down small. Great for concerts where you are not allowed to bring in a larger camera. The GM1 would fit that "small, non-professional" camera rule, but then (1) how do you bring in a larger lens and (2) how would the handling be of the little body and we will say the Olympus 40-150 lens (not huge or heavy by normal standards).
    Ah - the problems!!!!

17. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have the E-PM1 as a second body. The only trouble with it is my wife, who is a very minimalistic business travel, won't take it with her on some her business travels relying instead on the iPhone or P&S because of the size of the current zooms. I thought about purchasing the new 12 - 32 lens and putting it on the E-PM1 but we are going to purchase the GM1 when it is available in that cream color. It is hard to beat the form factor of both the GM1's body and lens for a have with you always camera.