EM1 Frame rate for sequential shooting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AdzeCO, Sep 30, 2016.

1. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    I have a question/concern regarding my em1 and the H seqential shooting fps. It seems like it is not getting to the 10 fps when I set it to. I've tried all the settings under the release tool menu and done test fire sequences setting shutter speed manually over 1/1000. It always seems to want to start out at a high rate but then settles quickly into more like 5 or 6 fps.

I noticed because every so often it will shoot at the higher rate. Anyone experience something similar?

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    Some questions:

- What lens or lenses
    - How many shots until it slows down
    - What memory card are you using
    - Is lens stopped down or wide open
    - What focus mode, CAF or SAF

Guess that is it for now.

I hardly use H because my 4/3 lenses top out around 7fps when using CAF or when stopped down. But I do use it on occasion when watching a bird hunt and have not noticed any such problem.

3. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, answers:

- What lens or lenses >> Using 4/3 lenses; specifically for this the 14-54 Mk I

- How many shots until it slows down >> Starts off kind of like a fast stutter and immediately goes to a lower rate; ie not a buffer issue

- What memory card are you using >> Just picked up a PKNY 32 GB elite Performance 95 MB/s; this is what led me to notice, I was curious on the write speed.

- Is lens stopped down or wide open >> Was trying mostly wide open and manually setting shutter speed high.

- What focus mode, CAF or SAF >> SAF

4. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    So Just switched lenses to my 50-200 (non SWD) and it is noticeably faster and is hitting the 10 fps rate. I wasn't aware of an inherent limitation to the lenses. Is the 14-54 not able to shoot at that high a rate?

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    I don't have the 14-54 so can't comment on it specifically. But........the 4/3 lenses have older aperture mechanisms and will not do 10fps when in CAF or if you stop down. Wide-open and in SAF they will shoot at 11fps, curious if they will be able to hit the 60fps with the EM1mk2 (that is in SAF and e-shutter).

6. AdzeCO

AdzeCO Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2016
    Seems ok with the 50-200 so at least not a camera issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the 14-54 II lens & it won't do 10 fps. It is the limited speed of the aperture blades (drive) that limits it. Since DSLRs (E3, E30 & E5) only went up to 5 fps then they were adequate. BTW, even the Panasonic 100-300 slowed down (first noticed on the E-M5).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.