1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

EM1 Focus Screen.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Reactivestills, May 7, 2014.

1. Reactivestills

Reactivestills Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gary Martin
    Hi All.

I have put a smudge on my E-M1 focus screen and am wondering what is the best way to clean it..I have blown out any dust with a rocket blower.

What next?

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Can't you just wipe it?

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you mean the sensor? There really is no focus screen as there is no mirror. The image that you see on the LCD or in the EVF is direct from the sensor.

--Ken

4. Reactivestills

Apr 6, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gary Martin
    Its the EVF..I was going to get a pec pad and the sensor wand with eclipse fluid and give it a try. What do you reckon..Does anyone else use this method or just a lens cloth?

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Do you mean that you intend to clean the little bit of glass that you put your eye next to? In that case you can use a lens cloth.

6. Reactivestills

Apr 6, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gary Martin
    Yeah thats it..I tried clean the oily smudge with a new lens cloth and it wasn't very good. Does anyone know if its multicoated as I don't want to scratch it. I've tried to clean as much dust from it as possible with a blower.
    I'm curious would Eclipse lens cleaner do a much better job. I'd imagine that because its flat rather than curved like a normal DSLR that it would be quite easy?

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I suspect that using a safe liquid cleaner (and I am assuming Eclipse is safe but I have never used it) would be fine. I would, however, recommend that you consider placing the liquid on a cloth, pad or other soft cleaning device rather than directly on the EVF. Fluids have a nasty habit of seeping into cracks around lenses or glass surfaces if you let too much out of the bottle, and that is not something that you want to have happen.

Good luck,

--Ken

8. Reactivestills

Apr 6, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gary Martin
    I'll report back after the process.. It may be quite successful because its a flat surface like cleaning a sensor. I'll post pics when its done.

9. Reactivestills

Apr 6, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gary Martin
    After receiving the items in the post I can happily say that I have brought the focusing screen back to pristine condition. I had wiped a fairly bad oily smudge right across it and a regular lens cloth was just making no use at all.
    I used a 14mm Sensor Wand with a pec pad wrapped around it - 1-2 drops of Eclipse lens cleaning solution and repeat. (Let the solution evaporate a little bit before you wipe or test it on something like a phone screen to see if there is too much solution on the end)

Its now back to like new!!!.

:smile: photo12.JPG

I was also looking at the new Lenspen Micro Pro that is specifically for viewfinders..I'd like to know is the glass multicoated on the focusing screen?
    DSLR viewfinders are plastic and can scratch very easy..

Any way It might help someone on here..

Later

• Like Like x 1