1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

EM1 firmware specs....

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by letsgofishing, Sep 15, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    From 43 rumours...

Here is the full features/fix list:
    -Image display time lag: 16 msec (frame rate setting is high speed)
    -Multiple simultaneous settings now available in Live Guide
    - Exposure compensation (±3 EV) is now available in HDR 1/HDR2 shooting
    - A function was added to cancel Color Creator and return to the original Picture Mode by pressing the MENU button when using Color Creator function
    - Even when Art Filter is set for the Picture Mode in movie shooting, the Movie Tele-converter can now be used
    - AF function for each frame was added to Custom Self Timer. In Drive Mode’s Custom Self Timer settings, you can now press the INFO button to change settings
    - MF Assist is now supported in magnified frame position
    - 3x has been added to high resolution magnified Live View
    - The Peaking display frame rate has been improved
    - Electronic zoom speed setting function was added. An icon appears on the LCD monitor when using the olympus zoom lens
    - When the arrow pad is set to Direct function, the Underwater/Underwater macro functions can be used with the left and down button on the arrow pad
    - Double tap is now supported in touch operations on the Super Control Panel
    - The level gauge and histogram can now be displayed during magnified frame display. The Touch Off icon was added to magnified frame display
    - A function was added so that shooting information recorded in HDR1/HDR2 can be viewed in the playback screen
    - Information on composited number of shots for images recorded with Live Composite was added (Can be checked in Olympus Viewer3)
    - When the BKT button is pressed for seconds, the BKT menu now appears
    -Keystone Compensation (Digital Shift)
    -Tethered Shooting System (OLYMPUS capture)
    -Live Composite
    -Zoom In/Out and Layout have been added to Photo Story. Save (complete partway through), Temporary Save, and Resume functions have been added to Photo Story mode
    -New Art Filter: Vintage and Partial color
    -Old film effect
    - The Aperture Lock function has been added to Aperture Preview
    - The Panning Shot shooting mode has been added to SCN mode

I reckon this should make E-M1 owners VERY happy....

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Nothing in that list excites me at all, tethered shooting maybe a bit. It's all crap that you add to a P&S.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    tethering shooting feature sounds interesting. I hope E-M10 will also be updated
    Oly just needed to do one thing: increase video bitrate and provide frame rate options 24/60/120p

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Why would you add;
    - MF Assist is now supported in magnified frame position
    - 3x has been added to high resolution magnified Live View
    - The Peaking display frame rate has been improved

... to a point and shoot? I'm happy from my manual focus point of view - firms my choice that my next camera will still be an Olympus :D

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That was a throwaway line indicating my displeasure if that is all that is coming with the firmware update. None of that substantially improves anything with the E-M1 when it comes to still photography. Hopefully all the stuff about video isn't just a wild rumour.

6. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Totally disagree!! Tethered shooting capability is great for those that have a need for it (portrait, studio stills/product, etc.). For me, I've been waiting for it and happy it's arrived. And I am NO P&S enthusiast!

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The tethered shooting is great. But I agree the rest of it is ho hum. Given that there are zero video updates they have to have something else in the works. Even 24P would have been welcomed. This makes me think there are two streams of firmware and one is not ready yet. Or, Oly has another body in the works and the E-M1 is being used as a test mule.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    How about Live Composite and faster EVF refresh Ray - they are features worth having, n'est pas?

9. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Faster refresh rate is not so useful as you need to enable fast refresh and that causes lower EVF quality. Faster shutter lag function can cause sensor to lock in quick plannings/moves and requires battery removed for fix.

Tethering isn't so good as required a USB cable. Give it as WiFi where camera push jpeg while shooting without requiring to operate camera via smartphone/tablet and we are talking. With cable it is again just one studio feature that is less useful on field.

Live composite is something but it doesn't give reason to go 2.0.

Two things Olympus should do. Improve video by offering 25/30/50/60 fps, 120/240 in 720p.
    Allow WiFi to be connected access point with own name etc and open card to be used while shooting.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I did say, and have said for some time, that tethering is one feature that is good.

I have no idea what Live Composite will provide and if it's what it sounds like, I don't want to do things in-camera. A faster EVF refresh rate isn't going to be worth much unless it's coupled with other features such as more video options. I don't understand why none of the previous video predictions don't appear in the list.

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    tethered and increased evf rate sound good
    keystone will be useful as im TERRIBLE at doing this myself...

im confused about the double tapping screen now, tho

and live composite will be fun to be goofy with with my nieces and nephew

12. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Just tested the live composite.

What it does is that first it ask you to press a shutter and camera takes sample photo in about one second or less.

Then it say it is ready and press a shutter to start it.
    Pressing shutter starts exposure and it does exposure scene first to value that it sampled. After that it doesn't continue exposuring areas at all unless there is brighter light to some part of photo. And it will exposure that area only to point that it doesn't overburn.

It needs to be thought as "smart bulb".

You can example have a single light in room for mood. Start live composite and it captures the scene as you would with optimal exposure. Now you can move freely front of the camera as it doesn't capture you or overexposure anything. You can trigger a flash to lighten up different parts and only those parts gets exposures more.

So with live composite and single flash, you can do multi-flash exposure even in daylight with flashgun in hand.

It doesn't work so well for stellar photography, at least on me it kept sky black as it was so on sample and moon and stars started to trail. So some kind limit there is. But I can see how great it is for fireworks or lighting as it will only capture those but otherwise keeps scenery dark/black.

You really can't do same things as easily in post.

What comes to EVF, it doesn't feel much better unless you anyways use " fast refresh" mode that doesn't allow peeking or some of the art filters be used or their usage returns it back to normal speed.

It would have been huge improvement if continues shooting would show focus point while keeping shutter release down so it would be easy to keep it over subject. But no...

Correction, just tested and AF point stay visible while burst mode in L and C-AF-TR visible!

13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Damn, I was really hoping for an electronic shutter similar to what Panasonic already has in their cameras.

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Are you saying that it 'shuts off' pixels that have been correctly exposed and continues exposure of areas that have not been fully exposed, based on some exposure criteria?

15. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Yes. It exposures the scene to the sample level and then exposures areas that get brighter than that. So if you wave hand front of camera or move in scene with dark cloths etc, you don't get "added" to scene. You don't need to worry about overexposure like with Bulb or Live Time.

The live composite has a preliminary setting for time per frame that is used for sample. By default it was 1s and seems to go from 0.5s to 60s.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess actually testing it will help to better understand what's going on.

17. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Anybody who has tried the new firmware - can you comment on whether there has been any improvement to continuous or af+tr mode ?

18. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    If you mean about AF speed / accuracy then no. But as I said, you now see the focus point when C-AF L or C-AF-TR.

Tomorrow I might be able test the AF speed and accuracy. As now when I can see AF point, it might make bird shooting much easier.

19. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Depending on lens that I've used I've had mixed results with the EM1 ranging from moderately crap with the Pan 100-300 to quite good with the 12-40 Pro.

I won't be able to update my EM1 for a few days so I would be very interested to hear your take...

20. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Wow, that's impressive. I'd love to get a whiff of whatever the engineers were smoking when they thought this up.
    It's like Carl Sagan and Timothy Leary getting together for a game of five-pin and hashed this out over a couple of Bud Lights... ;-)