1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Em1 falling apart

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ash, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Ash

Ash New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2016
    I'm seriously thinking of switching to Sony or Fuji.
    The eye that hold the camera strap fell out of the body and sent it to the concrete ground. Now I'm stuck with a wether sealed body with a hole in the side of it. And the other side is loose. Anyone owning an em1 should check there's, it happen quite Often and Olympus will not do anything about it except charge you $375.00 plus shipping to fix it.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Sorry to hear about your problem. :frown:
    How old is your E-M1 and what lenses do you use with it? I'm wondering if there's a particular vintage of E-M1 and whether there's something about static stress on the lugs.

3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Welcome to the forum. Really sorry to hear about your camera. Some more details would be good to know, especially since you seem to be suggesting that this has happened to you before (and frequently?).

While I don't own an E-M1 (or E-M5), there have been reports of the lugs falling off from the E-M5. Searching the forum may help you get some more information on how others have had the problem resolved.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    This is only the 116,528 thread about this. It's a very well documented problem that I'm pretty sure was corrected in later EM1s.

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Manufacturing defect. I'm surprised that isn't being covered under warranty. In any case having a single point of failure is always going to be risky, I've got QR attachments from both strap lugs to my sling strap for that very reason.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

It's basically the equivalent of having a car's tow bar fitted to the bumper rather than to the chassis. Totally unbelievable that this could even be a thing designed by a professional.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    As mentioned, it's a real design flaw. But I wouldn't expect much better build quality from Sony or Fuji. They both have their fair share of complaints from owners if you read along. The grass is sadly not always greener.

It is completely anecdotal, but with the exception of screen delaminating on some of the older Panasonics (like my GX1), scratching silver paint, and the infamous exploding 12-32 pancake zoom, I generally hear crickets chirping when it comes to build quality issues on Panasonic cameras, even on a forum like this (which will be ground zero for complaints). Nothing major - certainly not the dial, lug, and eyecup issues that seem to consistently trouble Olympus cameras.

8. Ash

Ash New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2016
    I'm a big fan of Olympus 4/3 cameras but this was the first time I had to deal with customer service and they really just don't care. This shouldn't happen to a wetherproof shockproof flagship $1500.00 body. I preordered the camera from a local shop so it probably an early model. I'm not a pro and only use the camera a couple of days a month. I saw someone in prospect park with an em1 last week and his were loose also and Olympus customer service know about it image. image.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I do not know nor have I had any experience with the Sony brand however on both the Fuji and the Pentax K series the lugs are firmly attached to the camera frame not pressed and glued into the metal or plastic shell like some of the Olympus cameras. As far as camera defect complaints since I monitor conversations on numerous forums I can honestly say that more camera body defects are discussed on the Olympus board than either Fuji or Pentax.

10. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer

As a fellow non-pro, I feel your pain. I would try to calmly talk to Oly customer service and see if they will fix this on their dime. Given that it is a know manufacturing issue, you should be able to get them to work with you. Also, since you bought it from a brick and mortar store, you may want to go in there (if you can) and see if they can help you.

Also, there are reports of people using metal epoxy to glue these back in. If Oly will not fix it, try JB Weld and maybe add a tripod screw strap if you want to keep using the camera (given that you have a decent bit invested in lenses as well).

Good luck with getting it fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

OP: Panasonic would take your lenses, so no need to jump to Fuji out of spite for Olympus.

It's nice to be careful, but nobody owning any other brand of camera would think you would have to do that. To me that's like anchoring your lens to your strap, too, in case it falls off. It shouldn't be able to fall off and neither should your strap!

12. Ash

Ash New to Mu-43

Apr 29, 2016
    I've thought about epoxies but I can't get the screws out of the body there just rattling around in there.

13. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    ugh. That sucks. Hope you get it resolved without too much pain and money. I'd offer to pay half of it if you can get a hold of someone at Olympus, but they should really just fix it for you. Hope you didn't damage your lens in the drop.

I'm looking at my Gordy strap hanging off the lug on mine and wondering if I shouldn't move that to the tripod plate.

afterthought edit: did you notice any sign of movement on the lug before it gave way? I think I've got a second iteration EM1, having waited past the pre-order and initial batches – I got mine about 6 months after release. The lugs still feel solid, but I'd hate to have it let go.

14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It looks and sounds like the retaining screws that hold the inside plate and strap lug weren't held in place with threadlocker. It's an easy fix by any camera tech, especially since the parts are inside.
    Wish all our camera components were still made in Japan; quality control would be much better.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They are not pressed or glued but have internal screws that unfortunately have stripped out (or just come loose). Note the two screw holes in the above photos.

16. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Yes, I am aware of the method of fastening but as one who worked for over 33 years in the nuclear field I know that in design you need to provide for most any contingency. Cars are designed to absorb impacts in a collision. If it is a hard front collision the engine is designed to break away and go under the vehicle not into the passenger compartment. Hoods have fold points. Look at the underside of the hood on your vehicle and you will see what appears to be breaks or defects in the framing that supports that sheet metal. Those are the fold points. As a designer of this camera product the first question I would ask about the support system is what will happen if the screws fall out. We know the answer. The lug pulls out and the camera falls, hits the ground and breaks. KABOOM!!!

So how can we stop that from happening? Well, if that lug was designed as a T with the top part of the T on the inside of the body and the long leg passing through the body and incorporating the hole for the strap ring to pass through then if any fasteners used to hold the lug securely to the body fell out the lug would be loose and wobble around but it would not pull out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Check the credit card you used for the purchase. Many offer a one year extension of the warranty. Most people forget this but, depending upon when you bought it it might be worth a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First, I only made my comment from your suggestion the lug was glued or pressed in, but I do agree, if it was an internal T design & also extended to allow external fixing screws top & bottom (or at least one) then it should be totally reliable (so long as it didn't break off instead).

EDIT: The present design is probably used for easy & effective weather sealing though & is quite OK so long as there is a thread lock (Loctite) glue used on the screws.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Most of my Panasonic stuff is.

Still, though, bad design can't be blamed on the assemblers.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    A friend was recently showing me his new GX8 and I noticed that it was made in China. I'm not saying that is good or bad, but I thought most of Panasonic's higher end products were manufactured in Japan.

--Ken