EM1 / EM5 II to Panasonic GX8

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, May 17, 2016.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Has anyone gone from an EM1 or EM5 II to a Panasonic GX8 and noticed an improvement in quality. I'm not talking about the differences in ergonomics, features, 4K etc, just purely still image quality, or are they pretty much a wash ?

I'm wondering if the increase of 4mp (from 16 to 20) is noticeable in the detail captured and would it more of less match (detail wise) the sort of thing I get form my Nikon 24mp DSLR's ?

Also, I assume the long exposure noise isn't an issue on the GX8 like it is on the Olympus, as I recently did some long exposures sing my Lee big stopper (without dark frame subtraction on), and the noise at 30 seconds plus was horrible on my EM1 in the darker areas ?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  3. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    1 minute exposure looks ok to me with GX8 (long exposure compensation enabled).
    Here's attached photo (in full res) with low shutter speed, nothing fancy, just something I took recently.

Edit:
    oops, looks like it got compressed and resized.

Attached Files:

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't let the E-M1 make you think all 16MP Olympus is bad for long exposures - it's the oddball of the bunch and probably the worst of all the 16+ MP m4/3 units for very long exposure noise by quite a lot.

None of the other Olympus 16MP units are bad at all. A number of us into astrophotography have done quite a bit of long exposure tests and the 16MP Olympus (E-M1 aside) are among the best m4/3 have to offer, especially the E-M5 Mk1 which still seems to come out on top.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1